Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/09/05 21:07:30 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Effective immediately, adventerous souls can download a nightly build of
the Tomcat 4.0-dev development tree (which is being updated to support
the new Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 draft specifications).  The binary
distributions are available from:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/nightly

and the source code distributions are at:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/nightly/src

These builds correspond to the source code that is in the
"jakarta-tomcat-4.0" module in CVS.  They also include the most recent
versions of the servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 API classes (servlet.jar).  Any
web application that is compliant with servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1 should
run fine under these builds (failure to do so is a bug in Tomcat 4.0
that should be reported), or you can start experimenting with the new
features like as application events and filters.

To keep track of what new features have been implemented so far, check
out the file "NEW_SPECS.txt" in the top level directory.

NOTE:  You should use this code to help us debug Tomcat 4.0, and/or
to start learning about the new servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 spec features
that are being added.  It is not yet appropriate to use this code
for production purposes.  The goal is to have a beta-quality version
of this code (with complete support for all the 2.3/1.2 features, as
of the current drafts of the spec at that time) by ApacheCon London,
October 23-25, 2000.

Craig McClanahan

====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Johan Peeters wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> > finalized.  However, Tomcat 4.0 recognizes the following DOCTYPE
> > declaration and uses its internal draft version of the new DTD:
> >
> >     <!DOCTYPE web-app
> >         PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
> >         "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd">
> >
> > because it matches on the public identifier.  To avoid cut-and-paste
> > problems, you can copy this from one of the example web applications.
> >

> I found myself modifying the above lines in the webdav app's deployment
> descriptor in the distribution to
>     <!DOCTYPE web-app
>         PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>         "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
>
> to get webdav to load.

I can run "http://localhost:8080/webdav" just fine on RH 6.2, JDK 1.2.2,
Tomcat 4.0 -- see more below.

> > >    * tomcat seems to be listening to port 0, rather than 8080, in
> > >      spite of the standard
> > >        <Connector
> > >      className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
> > >                   port="8080" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> > >                   acceptCount="10" debug="2"/>
> > >      in server.xml.
> > >

> > How are you making that determination?  Does it not respond to 8080 for
> > you?  What platform/OS/JDK?
> >

> It does not respond to 8080. Tomcat writes
>
> PoolTcpConnector: Starting HttpConnectionHandler on 0
>
> to stdout when starting. Interestingly, netstat does not show anyone
> listening on port 0 :-).
> OS=NT, JDK=1.2.2

Well, that's really interesting.  Especially, considering the fact that Tomcat
4.0 doesn't use PoolTcpConnector, doesn't have a class named
HttpConnectionHandler in it, and only writes a version identifier (Apache
Tomcat 4.0-dev) to standard output when it starts up).  Those classes are both
used in Tomcat 3.x, however.  Are you sure you are using the
"jakarta-tomcat-4.0" module, and have nothing related to Tomcat 3.x in your
classpath?  And starting it with "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start"?

Craig

====================

Posted by Johan Peeters <jo...@alcatel.be>.

--
Johan Peeters mailto:johan.peeters@alcatel.be
Software Architect - Net Commerce

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Johan Peeters wrote:

> I downloaded and tried to run the latest nightly build. I encountered
> following problems:
>
>    * when loading the webdav app, there is a problem with the
>      web-app_2_3.dtd - it seems not to be available yet on
>      java.sun.com. A workaround is to roll back to the 2_2 dtd. I was
>      surprised to find that the DTD is actually needed. Presumably
>      some xml parsing is done in validating mode?

The "official" DTD will not get published until the 2.3 spec is
finalized.  However, Tomcat 4.0 recognizes the following DOCTYPE
declaration and uses its internal draft version of the new DTD:

    <!DOCTYPE web-app
        "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd">

because it matches on the public identifier.  To avoid cut-and-paste
problems, you can copy this from one of the example web applications.

NOTE:  Any servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 application should continue to work under
Tomcat 4.0 -- failure to do this is a bug that should be reported.

>    *
>    * tomcat seems to be listening to port 0, rather than 8080, in
>      spite of the standard
>        <Connector
>      className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
>                   port="8080" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>                   acceptCount="10" debug="2"/>
>      in server.xml.

How are you making that determination?  Does it not respond to 8080 for
you?  What platform/OS/JDK?

> I still do not quite understand the relationship between tomcat and
> catalina. I notice that in the package structure 'tomcat' has been
> replaced with 'catalina' everywhere. Will the name catalina persist or
> will this be replaced by tomcat by the time that 4.0 is goes to
> beta/is released? Will the future product be known as Tomcat or
> Catalina?

Catalina is the servlet container piece of Tomcat 4.0, analogous to
Jasper which is the JSP piece.

Tomcat = Servlet + JSP, so Tomcat = Catalina + Jasper.

> Many Thanks,
>
> Yo

Craig McClanahan

====================

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
David Geary wrote:

> I downloaded the binary distribution of Tomcat 4.0, but when I try to run
> the MS-DOS startup file in the bin directory, I get an MS-DOS window that
> appears for a split second and then disappears.

This usually means that your DOS windows are not configured with enough
room
for environment variables.  You can modify this by creating a config.sys
file
in c:\ with the following contents, and rebooting:

    shell=c:\command.com c:\ e:/4096 /p

You can also type this command:

    %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina run

to run in the same DOS window instead of a new one.  You should then be
able to
see any error message that is produced.

NOTE 1:  The DOS command lines for starting Tomcat 3.2 and 4.0 have been
undergoing some churn lately, as we try to deal with the differences
between
Win98, WinNT, and W2K -- each platform exhibits different quirks; so
much for
"compatibility" :-).  Which particular platform are you trying to run
on?
(Follow-ups to this should be sent to TOMCAT-USER only).

NOTE 2:  When released, Tomcat 4.0 will include much nicer support for
running
under WIndows, including a toolbar icon for starting, stopping, and
restarting
it.  Until this package is finished, we're still stuck with command line
issues.

> I'm not sure what "catalina" is (the code name for Tomcat 4.0?), but when I
> try to run the catalina MS-DOS file in the bin directory, I get the same
> result as with the startup file.

Catalina is the servlet container portion of Tomcat 4.0, to go along
with
Jasper (the JSP engine portion).

Tomcat = Servlets + JSP

> I have no difficulty using Tomcat 3.1 and a handful of other Web servers
> such as Resin. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
>
> david

Craig

====================

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
David Geary wrote:

> I downloaded the binary distribution of Tomcat 4.0, but when I try to run
> the MS-DOS startup file in the bin directory, I get an MS-DOS window that
> appears for a split second and then disappears.

This usually means that your DOS windows are not configured with enough
room
for environment variables.  You can modify this by creating a config.sys
file
in c:\ with the following contents, and rebooting:

    shell=c:\command.com c:\ e:/4096 /p

You can also type this command:

    %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina run

to run in the same DOS window instead of a new one.  You should then be
able to
see any error message that is produced.

NOTE 1:  The DOS command lines for starting Tomcat 3.2 and 4.0 have been
undergoing some churn lately, as we try to deal with the differences
between
Win98, WinNT, and W2K -- each platform exhibits different quirks; so
much for
"compatibility" :-).  Which particular platform are you trying to run
on?
(Follow-ups to this should be sent to TOMCAT-USER only).

NOTE 2:  When released, Tomcat 4.0 will include much nicer support for
running
under WIndows, including a toolbar icon for starting, stopping, and
restarting
it.  Until this package is finished, we're still stuck with command line
issues.

> I'm not sure what "catalina" is (the code name for Tomcat 4.0?), but when I
> try to run the catalina MS-DOS file in the bin directory, I get the same
> result as with the startup file.

Catalina is the servlet container portion of Tomcat 4.0, to go along
with
Jasper (the JSP engine portion).

Tomcat = Servlets + JSP

> I have no difficulty using Tomcat 3.1 and a handful of other Web servers
> such as Resin. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
>
> david

Craig

====================

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
David Geary wrote:

> I downloaded the binary distribution of Tomcat 4.0, but when I try to run
> the MS-DOS startup file in the bin directory, I get an MS-DOS window that
> appears for a split second and then disappears.

This usually means that your DOS windows are not configured with enough
room
for environment variables.  You can modify this by creating a config.sys
file
in c:\ with the following contents, and rebooting:

    shell=c:\command.com c:\ e:/4096 /p

You can also type this command:

    %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina run

to run in the same DOS window instead of a new one.  You should then be
able to
see any error message that is produced.

NOTE 1:  The DOS command lines for starting Tomcat 3.2 and 4.0 have been
undergoing some churn lately, as we try to deal with the differences
between
Win98, WinNT, and W2K -- each platform exhibits different quirks; so
much for
"compatibility" :-).  Which particular platform are you trying to run
on?
(Follow-ups to this should be sent to TOMCAT-USER only).

NOTE 2:  When released, Tomcat 4.0 will include much nicer support for
running
under WIndows, including a toolbar icon for starting, stopping, and
restarting
it.  Until this package is finished, we're still stuck with command line
issues.

> I'm not sure what "catalina" is (the code name for Tomcat 4.0?), but when I
> try to run the catalina MS-DOS file in the bin directory, I get the same
> result as with the startup file.

Catalina is the servlet container portion of Tomcat 4.0, to go along
with
Jasper (the JSP engine portion).

Tomcat = Servlets + JSP

> I have no difficulty using Tomcat 3.1 and a handful of other Web servers
> such as Resin. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
>
> david

Craig

====================

Posted by David Geary <sa...@tri-lakesonline.net>.

Posted by Johan Peeters <jo...@alcatel.be>.
Craig,

That certainly would help to introduce the new releases seamlessly in our
development environment.
What about the tag library problem that Yun reported and I also encountered? Is it
a bug? Any fixes in the near future?

Thanks,

Yo

--
Johan Peeters Software Architect
moving soon - to stay in touch

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Johan Peeters wrote:

> Taking full credit for my own stupidity, I am not sure of the wisdom of
> superceeding tomcat.bat with catalina.bat.

That's a good point.

The reasoning went like this -- some people wanted to package the servlet
container part of Tomcat with template technologies other than JSP.  In order
to do this, we have separated the major pieces (servlet container, JSP engine,
and web applications) in the source code directories -- which required that we
give the pieces names (Catalina for the servlet container, since that was the
name of the proposal that originated this source code, and Jasper for the JSP
engine, because it was the historical name used before the code was contributed
to Apache).  But, if you were running separately, you needed a startup script
that started the component you were actually talking about  -- Catalina.

Tomcat was, is, and will be *both* servlet container and JSP (i.e. both
Catalina and Jasper will be included on the inside).

I'm going to add "tomcat.sh" and "tomcat.bat" scripts that can be used for
startups, so that others won't stumble across this confusion the same way that
Johann did.  However, so that you can have both Tomcat 3.2 and Tomcat 4.0
installed on the same system, I suggest we maintain the CATALINA_HOME
environment variable name for the Tomcat 4.0 startup scripts.

> Best Wishes,
>
> Yo

Craig McClanahan

====================

Posted by Johan Peeters <jo...@alcatel.be>.

Yun Sang Jung wrote:

> [Problem3]
> When I run jsp simple custom tag example
> ->
> A Servlet Exception Has Occurred
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException:
> c:\navidad\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\webapps\examples\jsp\simpletag\foo.jsp(6,0)
> Unable to open taglibrary
> http://java.apache.org/tomcat/examples-taglib : Parse Error in the tag
> library descriptor: External entity not found:
> "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd".
>
> I think it is a same problem which is pointed by Johan Peeters.

I did indeed have an issue early on with the 2.3 DTD, but as Craig
pointed out, I screwed up running a version which had some 3.x
components. More particularly, I started tomcat by using the 3.2
tomcat.bat script instead of catalina.bat, so I am not sure what the
problems concerning webdav were related to. However, running a 'pure'
4.0 version, I have the same problems as Yun with custom tags.

Questions On How To Handle Image

Posted by Choo Yew Beng <ye...@cnpr.nus.edu.sg>.
Hi Gurus In The Jarkata Project or Gurus In JSP,
Could someone please kindly provide me pointers to the mentioned:

                                 [Image]
I have a vector dump into the
  <select name="ls" multiple>
    <option value="id+name">value1</option>
    <option value="">....................</option>
    <option value="">....................</option>
    <option value="">....................</option>

  </select>
The >, >>, <, << are all in image form and with a <a href=<%=
HttpUtils.getRequestURL(request) %>?movetype=movex>...... </a> link.
Think this is not the rite way but not sure of any other ways though.
However, once I click on any of the >, >>, <, <<, I notice that the
value in the URL is overwritten by the HttpUtils.getRequest(request).
Even though I multiple select the items in Select A, the selected value
in the URL is not transferred across to Select B.
I checked the URL, the parameter "ls" is not there.
Could some gurus out there please help or advice on how can I go about
fixing the problems?
Thx n I sincerely hope to a favorable if and when possible.
Thx 10^6.
Choo Yew Beng

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by Brian Leonard <br...@brainslug.org>.
> >   Costin's recent post about his many plans for tomcat, which I
> > assume to be tomcat 3.x, seems to imply that both code bases
> > have long-term plans.
>
> I can't speak about anything else, but I hope you don't mind
> if I have plans for tomcat 3.x.

Not at all. I've had a few apps running under something between 3.0 and 3.1
for quite some time.  Haven't had any problems, so waiting for the official
3.2 release hasn't been painful.  Nice work.

As I recall, some of the enhancements you mentioned were fairly large-scale
and most likely will extend beyond the tomcat 4.0 release, which appears
will be catalina-based.  I guess I'm just curious as to your plans for when
that happens.  Are we looking at 3.x splintering off from the "official"
container?

-bl

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
>   Costin's recent post about his many plans for tomcat, which I
> assume to be tomcat 3.x, seems to imply that both code bases have long-term
> plans.

I can't speak about anything else, but I hope you don't mind
if I have plans for tomcat 3.x.

I think tomcat 3.x will be one of the fastest servlet containers
and (if enough people care to review the code ) it can match
the security level of applets ( for running untrusted webapps ).
It has >1 year of evolution behind it - even if almost all
code has beed refactored and rewritten several times, the
magic of evolution seems to work  - all of the original
ideas are still here, and a lot of code not-so-fit disapeared.

If people think it has a good design and it's going in the
right direction probably it will have some long-term future.
That's the magic of open source.

Costin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@eng.sun.com>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> Brian Leonard wrote:
>
> > <...snip...>
> >
> > So, just to be clear, has the decision been made that tomcat 4.0 will be
> > catalina?  Costin's recent post about his many plans for tomcat, which I
> > assume to be tomcat 3.x, seems to imply that both code bases have long-term
> > plans.
> >

> This decision (Catalina to be used in Tomcat 4.0) was proposed, voted on, and
> accepted on TOMCAT-DEV several weeks ago.
>
> The current "3.3-dev" code base is open source, and anyone who wants to do
> something with it can do whatever they want.  But it won't be the basis for
> Tomcat 4.0.

Never the less it could be adopted for Tomcat 5.0.... :) Nobody knows
what's going to happen in the future...

	Pier

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Nightly Builds of Tomcat 4.0-dev (pre-alpha)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Brian Leonard wrote:

> <...snip...>
>
> So, just to be clear, has the decision been made that tomcat 4.0 will be
> catalina?  Costin's recent post about his many plans for tomcat, which I
> assume to be tomcat 3.x, seems to imply that both code bases have long-term
> plans.

This decision (Catalina to be used in Tomcat 4.0) was proposed, voted on, and
accepted on TOMCAT-DEV several weeks ago.

The current "3.3-dev" code base is open source, and anyone who wants to do
something with it can do whatever they want.  But it won't be the basis for
Tomcat 4.0.

> -bl

Craig McClanahan