Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Drooy Drooy <dr...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/14 21:27:53 UTC

Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Hi All,

We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
TLOG/PULL replica mode ?

I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
7.

Thanks much

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
What advantage do you see in TLOG and/or PULL replicas? The TLOG and
PULL replica types are for some pretty specific use cases,
particularly high-indexing-throughput cases where you can't afford to
index each doc on every node in your cluster. If you can afford the
CPU cycles to index on every node, I'd stick with NRT replicas.

Yes, though, you can mix/match the types. I question whether you
_want_ to, but you know your app best.

Best,
Erick

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Posted by Drooy Drooy <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick/Robi,

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/14/2017 2:27 PM, Drooy Drooy wrote:
> We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
> a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
> TLOG/PULL replica mode ?
>
> I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
> 7.

I would strongly recommend that you treat the new version as an entirely
new deployment, not as something you're going to upgrade.  Build new
collections with configs designed from 7.x examples and reindex
completely from scratch.

Many configs that people are using with version 4 were actually designed
for earlier versions and contain things that won't even work with 5.x,
let alone 7.x.  Even if you have a config built specifically for 4.x, it
is still likely that it's not going to work at all in 7.x without at
least some minimal updates.

The number of changes you're probably going to WANT (in addition to
those that you NEED) will probably make your config incompatible with
your existing index data.  It is extremely likely that you will need to
reindex at some point.  Three major versions is an *enormous* change to
how Solr works.

Just in case you might need it, here's a wiki page about reindexing.
You may already be aware of what that means:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex

Thanks,
Shawn