Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu> on 2003/05/15 02:10:36 UTC

Malformed network data (again)

I am trying to access a repository on Red Hat Linux 9 (v0.21.0)
using SSH from a Mac OS 10.2 client (v0.20.1) and have run into a
problem.  I can do some operations over the network: for example,

/tmp% svn ls $SVNROOT/trunk/research/sg_n_alpha
sg_n_alpha.tex

but when I try to do a checkout, I get

/tmp% svn co $SVNROOT/trunk/research/sg_n_alpha
svn: Malformed network data
svn: Malformed network data

I've tried the suggestions in a previous thread about ensuring a
"clean channel" and it seems that the channel is clear.

When I access the same repository (via SSH) from a Linux client I get
no such problems.

-Nevin

Re: Malformed network data (again)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu> writes:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>
> > ra_svn and svnserve aren't compatible between mismatched releases.
> > That's the official project policy.  They have to match release
> > numbers exactly.
>
> May I ask if this is going to be the case post 1.0 too?

Certainly not, that would be absurd.  APIs and network protocols will
freeze at 1.0, and have very wide compatibility.  Our current project
policies are purely to allow us to develop more quickly.

Re: Malformed network data (again)

Posted by Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> ra_svn and svnserve aren't compatible between mismatched releases.
> That's the official project policy.  They have to match release
> numbers exactly.

May I ask if this is going to be the case post 1.0 too?  If one is
accessing more than one repository it could be impossible to ensure
that all clients and servers are using the same version.

Posted by Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu> writes:
>
>> I am trying to access a repository on Red Hat Linux 9 (v0.21.0)
>> using SSH from a Mac OS 10.2 client (v0.20.1) and have run into a
>> problem.
>
> ra_svn and svnserve aren't compatible between mismatched releases.
> That's the official project policy.  They have to match release
> numbers exactly.

Ah, OK.  Thanks for the quick response.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Nevin Kapur <ka...@mts.jhu.edu> writes:

> I am trying to access a repository on Red Hat Linux 9 (v0.21.0)
> using SSH from a Mac OS 10.2 client (v0.20.1) and have run into a
> problem.

ra_svn and svnserve aren't compatible between mismatched releases.
That's the official project policy.  They have to match release
numbers exactly.

(For ra_dav and mod_dav_svn, the policy is that they're always
guaranteed to be compatible within one release.)