Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl> on 2013/01/14 09:02:47 UTC

Eclipse settings files

Hi all,

The Eclipse settings files keep causing trouble for me. I've recently switched
from the maven-eclipse-plugin to M2e. The first is deprecated and the latter
has become much more stable lately and provides a much better integration of
Maven in Eclipse. However, M2e changes the org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs files in
all projects and adds quite a few new files. These changed files make it
impossible to rebase without stashing them first, which in turn requires me to
close Eclipse.

My question is: what should we do with these settings files? In my opinion
they do not belong in the source, they should be added when importing the
projects and ignored by git. However, M2e does not (yet?) support importing
eclipse settings (it is possible with this plugin:
https://github.com/papegaaij/m2e-settings, but that requires manually adding a
plugin to Eclipse). So for now, I propose to upgrade the core setting files to
Eclipse Juno and add .settings to .gitignore to ignore all other files. Is
that ok, or does anyone have a better solution?

Best regards,
Emond

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 13:55:53 Martin Grigorov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Emond Papegaaij
>
> <em...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I've synced all settings with core and added the new files (which probably
> > only contain some defaults). I agree with Martin that settings file in the
> > source tree make it difficult to maintain them, unfortunately m2e does not
>
> I'm didn't mean that.
> I'm saying that I've seen updates to these files in the same commit with
> some functional change without explanation what is changed in the settings,
> so non-Eclipse users canntot follow up.
> For Eclipse users it is easy - next time you load the project the new
> settings are automatically applied.

That's because the files are part of the source tree. If the settings files
for different IDEs are maintained in a separate project, it is much easier to
track changes. These setting files are often changed without knowing. If they
are maintained in a central place, these accidental changes will not be pushed
to all other users immediately.

> I think m2e and maven-eclipse-plugin manipulate different files in
> .settings/** so this should not be a problem.

No, they use the same settings. Both however do not change settings if not
needed. m2e seems to update the settings to match the eclipse version.

> > (yet) support importing settings from a maven artifact. Hopefully they add
> > this some time....
>
> I'm not sure what you talk about.
> Maven's pom.xml doesn't contain any code style rules which can be consumed
> by IDE plugins like m2e, maven-eclipse-plugin, ... If there is anything in
> the pom.xml then it is something specific to m2e, m-e-p, ... but not
> something generic.
> M2E has something very ugly (IMO) - its lifecycle mapping from Maven phases
> to Eclipse. I hope this will never go in Wicket pom.xml files now when you
> move to m2e.

At Topicus, we have a special maven plugin in our pom that instructs m2e
(through lifecycle mapping) to copy the settings from a maven artifact. For m-
e-p we use something similar, where the maven-eclipse-plugin is configured to
copy these setting files. If you do not use eclipse, the plugin should not get
in your way and you do not have the settings files.

Best regards,
Emond

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
+1

One note below:

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 14:02:42 Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>
wrote:
> > I.e. the resource jar (a binary) will be committed somewhere, and uploaded
> > to Maven repo and finally exploded again ?
> > I don't know how all this work but I'd prefer text files to be committed
> > in
> > SCM as now, instead of Maven dependencies which are not needed by my IDE.
>
> The .settings files will be stored in wicket-commons repository (which
> sends notifications to commits@), and a maven release process will
> package and deploy to maven central. Maven should then be able to
> download those files for eclipse.
>
> We use it at €€€ day job (as Emond noted) and it works like a charm,
> as long as one uses the command line maven-eclipse-plugin (version
> 2.9), and obviously Eclipse as the editor.

For our latest project, we migrated to m2e, which is no longer able to import
these settings. Fortunately, I found an m2e extension on github that does, so
I updated it to work with the latest m2e and that's what we use now.

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
If anyone is willing to work on this I can help with testing all this on
IDEA.
At the moment there are no many active developers in the main code so I
don't find working on such helper projects valueable.

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Martijn Dashorst <

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Eclipse settings files

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.