Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Artem Vasiliev <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/18 00:29:00 UTC

another lucene-based application

Hi guys!

I'd like to thank the developers and contributors of Lucene project
for the fantastic library. And thanks Otis and Erik for a great book!

I'm writing an open source file searcher application 'sharehound'
(http://sharehound.sourceforge.net/) based on Lucene. It can now
search SMB file shares in LANs by their pathes and names. It tracks
changes in directories so it even knows about deleted files. The
application is in alpha now but it's working, it has Web UI and RSS
subscription for query results (added today :), so I'll be glad if
it help somebody here.

--
Best regards,
 Artem

Re[2]: another lucene-based application

Posted by Artem Vasiliev <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Xia,

XD> what's the difference from dotLucene?

Why dotLucene? dotLucene is the .Net port of Lucene, so your question
is pretty much the same as 'what's the difference from Lucene?'
dotLucene as Lucene itself is not a search application, it's a
library, so that's the difference :).

Some of the differences from other free LAN search applications I saw:
- information about deleted files is indexed
- RSS subscription to search results (so you can track files in a
  subdirectories of a given directory for instance optionally
  filtering them by some words)
- it uses Lucene and written in Java, so it's portable, has clean
  and powerfull query syntax and good performance characteristics.

--
Best regards,
 Artem                            mailto:artvas@gmail.com

Re: another lucene-based application