Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/02 19:41:35 UTC

Creating separate make file fro gc_gec

Hi all,

Currently, the makefile for gc_gen is located inside the drlvm/trunk/make/vm
folder. However, in the process of making gc_gen an independent entity,
isn't it better that we move this to drlvm/trunk/vm/gc_gen/make and refer it
from, drlvm/trunk/make/vm/gc_gen.xml? Thoughts?

Regards,
Senaka

Re: Creating separate make file fro gc_gec

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Senaka,

This is a natural approach to start thinking of an automatic build at
the beginning of the big project. You might notice a patch of your
predecessor to the Parrot build system which was originated from the
same activity. The only problem is that infrastructure would take
several weeks of your precious time and won't give you anything for
task completion.

I suggest reusing current build system and avoid moving any files. The
main problem of this build system is that it compiles a lot of stuff
you don't need, and this should be just deleted from build files and
your repository. The only infrastructure thing I would recommend you
to set up is a control version system because I do not see a natural
way of incremental development of your project using Harmony svn.

Just reduce a build time to 15 seconds and continue with Parrot / GC
bridge. You will face a real challenge there.

Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: Creating separate make file fro gc_gec

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexey,

The interest is in making gc_gen an independent entity. The separate build
is simply a starting point. Yes, I'm aware of the VM <> GC interface. These
need to be better abstracted I guess.

Regards,
Senaka

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.