Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/14 05:17:05 UTC

Funds for marketing efforts?

This is a request for general information about potential funding from
Apache for marketing AOOo to end-users (both individuals and companies/
organisations) at conferences those end-users attend (e.g., librarians,
educators, technical communicators). Typically a marketing team might
have a booth at an associated trade show or similar. The booths can
often be obtained free, but there are costs involved with (for example)
items to display or give away, banners and signs, booth attendants'
travel and accommodation expenses, and so on. Booth attendants usually
are not speakers at the conference.

I realise that for any specific event a proposal would need to be made,
but I'm looking for some indication of whether Apache would consider
covering this sort of marketing expense. AFAIK, OOo rarely made money
available for marketing at conferences, and then mainly for conferences
where the "marketing" was aimed at recruiting developers, not "selling"
potential end-users on the value of the product. Also AFAIK, that is one
reason why several of the not-for-profit organisations were set up in
different countries: so money was available for local outreach needs.

--Jean

RE: Funds for marketing efforts?

Posted by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Gavin. I'll leave this to one of the marketing enthusiasts to
pursue, since they have a better idea of what they actually do and
where, when and how they do it.

--Jean

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Hi Jean.