Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2001/10/25 20:39:22 UTC

xml.apache.org website

I'd like to bring up the topic of the website again.

The last we discussed this (in July) people seemed to be interested in
migrating
docs / site into DocBook or simplified DocBook.    Berin Loritsch had some
Cocoon2
styles for DocBook checked into Avalon.

Is this still what people think we should do?  If so, I plan to start
converting the X2 docs to
docbook and using this as a trial run for the rest of the site.   Assuming
that this is successful,
I'm willing to help this happen for all the other projects.

I'd also like to see us change the style for the website and get rid of all
the images in the nav
bars, etc.    I'm willing to take a crack at it, but it *will* be ugly.   If
someone more artistically
inclined wants to help, that'd be great.

Lastly, we have too many copies of the website docs.   Each project has a
copy of the docs
in its own cvs, and then there's the copy in XML site -- that's one copy too
many.   I'd like to
set things up so that the build for xml-site checks out the doc directories
for each project and
then builds the website.  If we can do that then maybe we could even have
the website updated
semi-automatically.  In order for this to happen, it would be nice if all
the projects used the same
directory hierarchy.   See http://jakarta.apache.org/site/dirlayout.html for
a good starting point.
I'm going to start a second thread for the dirlayout stuff.

Ted

Re: xml.apache.org website

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> I'd like to bring up the topic of the website again.
>
> The last we discussed this (in July) people seemed to be interested in
> migrating
> docs / site into DocBook or simplified DocBook.    Berin Loritsch had some
> Cocoon2
> styles for DocBook checked into Avalon.
>
> Is this still what people think we should do?  If so, I plan to start
> converting the X2 docs to
> docbook and using this as a trial run for the rest of the site.   Assuming
> that this is successful,
> I'm willing to help this happen for all the other projects.

Yup, I'd like to see the xml.apache.org website improved.

> I'd also like to see us change the style for the website and get rid of all
> the images in the nav
> bars, etc.    I'm willing to take a crack at it, but it *will* be ugly.   If
> someone more artistically
> inclined wants to help, that'd be great.

+1 on removing all the images.  One thing I like about
jakarta.apache.org is that it doesn't have all those images.  I'm not
necessarily advocating use of the same software though.

> Lastly, we have too many copies of the website docs.   Each project has a
> copy of the docs
> in its own cvs, and then there's the copy in XML site -- that's one copy too
> many.   I'd like to
> set things up so that the build for xml-site checks out the doc directories
> for each project and
> then builds the website.  If we can do that then maybe we could even have
> the website updated
> semi-automatically.  In order for this to happen, it would be nice if all
> the projects used the same
> directory hierarchy.   See http://jakarta.apache.org/site/dirlayout.html for
> a good starting point.
> I'm going to start a second thread for the dirlayout stuff.

Sounds good.

-Edwin