Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/05/31 01:34:06 UTC

Re: release strategy stuff (was: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> Personally, I'm finding that it seems we're getting back to the old, slow
> "it takes a lot of pain to make a release" process. Rather than a nice,
> easy, snap and release. Remember: even though we're GA, we can still snap
> new releases, test them, and *then* decide whether to release them (and
> whether to call them GA or intemediate beta releases).

I like to think we're going with an in-between approach, which is that in
practice it's hard for any one person to know exactly when the tree is
stable on all platforms.  So one person that volunteers to RM can tag the
tree when he thinks it's in pretty good shape, but then reality sets in
and other platforms need a chance to catch up.  In order to manage the
release process, giving the RM the power to incorporate patches for some
period of time and then doing the snap, release rather than trying to pick
one moment in time when everybody on every platform speaks up at once
saying "yes, it's working" seems to be helpful.

shrug.

--Cliff