Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/08/05 15:14:09 UTC

Re: Testing Lenya with HtmlUnit

Renaud Richardet wrote:
> Hello
>
> I started to use HtmlUnit to do functional testing of Lenya, based on
> what has been done in cocoon-2.1.x You can download my proto here:
> http://www.oslutions.com/lenya/htmlunit.zip . Just import it as an
> Eclipse project, or build the classes.
>
> HtmlUnit is a very impressive test tool, and it went well until I wanted
> to do some serious stuff like testing the editors (BXE, Forms).
>
> 1) Could anybody tell me if I'm on the right track with this proto. If
> so, I would like to integrate it into src/test/

more tests are always good provided they are maintained. are you
prepared to do that?

> 2) Do you see a way to test the editors? Without this possibility,
> functional tests are IMHO not very useful for Lenya.

there is plenty of things that can go wrong outside of the editors
though. not sure hard it will be to do editor tests.

Re: Testing Lenya with HtmlUnit

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Renaud Richardet wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I started to use HtmlUnit to do functional testing of Lenya, based
>>> on what has been done in cocoon-2.1.x You can download my proto
>>> here: http://www.oslutions.com/lenya/htmlunit.zip . Just import it
>>> as an Eclipse project, or build the classes.
>>>
>>> HtmlUnit is a very impressive test tool, and it went well until I
>>> wanted to do some serious stuff like testing the editors (BXE, Forms).
>>>
>>> 1) Could anybody tell me if I'm on the right track with this proto.
>>> If so, I would like to integrate it into src/test/
>>

>> more tests are always good provided they are maintained. are you
>> prepared to do that?
>

> I think we all should be prepared to do this as a community

I am ready to set up a good functional testing infrastructure for Lenya
because I need it anyway for a project. As for maintenance, I also think
that the whole community should show interest, and get involved.
Htmlunit is a really flexible testing framework (java-based), so it
should be possible to have low maintain costs. I shall be able to keep
the suite highly configurable.

I'll keep develop the Lenya testsuite as a standalone (on a public svn),
and if you like it, I would be happy to integrate it into Lenya :-)

Right now, I need some feedback to know if I'm on the right track. It
would be nice if you could have a look at my proto and give me some inputs.

Thanks,
Renaud

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.