Posted to user@hivemall.apache.org by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org> on 2016/11/28 08:27:52 UTC

Re: Hivemall on Pig,

Hi Sungwoo,

Honestly, I'm not sure about industrial usage of Apache Pig
but you can find PowerBy Apache Pig list on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/PoweredBy

I think user base of Pig is much smaller (1/5 or less) than Hive
 but certain big companies are still using Pig.

BTW, could you ask Hivemall related questions on
user@hivemall.incubator.apache.org if possible?

http://hivemall.incubator.apache.org/mail-lists.html

It's important in our incubation process.

Warm regards,
Makoto

Re: Hivemall on Pig,

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
Pig usage is definitely declining, and very rarely do you see new use cases
built on Pig.

IMO, it's primary benefit initially was to support a more modular language
(than SQL) with intermediate variables as well as better UDFs support, and
as a result was good for ETL. However, newer, more language-integrated
programming models (such as the ones provided by Spark) is basically a
strict subset of Spark.