Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2002/05/09 22:03:52 UTC

Tomcat on Win98

Hi, I am running the Tomcat 4.0 server under Win98 and so far I have used it under a light load condition, i.e. only a few users access it at any one time. But, I have recently set up a set of JSP questionaires coupled to a data base, and I am about to be hit by an onslaught of 60 to 100 users hitting my server simultaniously.... So, my question is, is there anything I need to do to prepare for this heavier usage? Do I need to, for example, increase or control memory allocation for Tomcat? And if so, how? (It use to be that Tomcat was started via a .bat file and I knew how to manage memory for them, but now the distribution supples a different shortcut which directly invokes the Tomcat server via calling java.exe on and a bootstrap.jar file so now I am not sure how....)

I did find a Startup.bat and a Shutdown.bat file in the bin directory of the distribution, and wonder if I should use these instead of the supplied shortcuts... For these, I could set the memory properties directly, if the Auto settings didn't work properly...

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I am not a Windows expert)  or has been already asked/answered, and yes I have already tried to RTFMs but am still confused  ;-)

    Marc...

Do you think the software industry will ever make software that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable for a user to drive?
A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane