Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by zkn <zk...@abv.bg> on 2006/12/20 16:26:05 UTC

How to purge dns cache

Hi,

Does JAMES have a DNS cache and where it is stored?

We are running a JAMES server which forwards emails to another mail
server. We had a problem with the second mail server so we moved it to a
new machine and we made the necessary DNS configuration changes.
nslookup on the machine where JAMES runs returns the right new IP, but
JAMES is still trying to send all emails to the old IP. I restarted
JAMES but that didn't help.

Ozkan

Re: How to purge dns cache

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> zkn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does JAMES have a DNS cache and where it is stored?
>>
>> We are running a JAMES server which forwards emails to another mail
>> server. We had a problem with the second mail server so we moved it
>> to a new machine and we made the necessary DNS configuration changes.
>> nslookup on the machine where JAMES runs returns the right new IP,
>> but JAMES is still trying to send all emails to the old IP. I
>> restarted JAMES but that didn't help.
>>
>> Ozkan
>
> Maybe the IP is cached in one of the DNS servers james is using to
> resolve.
>
> if you didn't specify it James try to autorecognize them from the
> underlying OS (/etc/resolv.conf for linux, ipconfig /all for windows)
In the configuration I had specified two dns servers: localhost which is
our secondary name server and the IP of our primary server. Strangely
localhost was the third option in resolve.conf and the first two where
other DNS servers.

I replaced localhost with 127.0.0.1 in the config file and when I
restarted JAMES it worked fine. Now emails are being sent successfully.

I run nslookup using the first two DNS server from the resolve.conf and
the result was good - the new IP. So know I'm not sure what exactly was
the problem. I suppose that James didn't work with localhost instead of
ip and that caused James to use the servers from resolve.conf which had
cached the old IP but when I tested them the cache had already been purged.

Thanks for your quick responses, guys!

Re: How to purge dns cache

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.