Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by robert engels <re...@ix.netcom.com> on 2007/03/24 22:00:59 UTC

non indexed field query clauses? help wanted

I see that there is a lot of activity going on with query clauses
(FunctionQuery, etc.)

Has anyone thought again about having a query clause that operated on
stored (non-indexed) values?

It would seem that a query optimizer would want to evaluate these
queries last, since they obviously would be "poorer" performing, and
you would want to limit the number of documents retrieved.

I understand that this is not trivial, or may not perform very well,
since you might have a query like

(+indexedterm +storedterm) OR (+storedterm2) AND (storedterm >=
somevalue and storedterm2<=somevalue)

in which every document would need to be searched (to match
+storedterm2).

I also understand that this brings Lucene closed to a db, but it
would be really helpful in many cases, since it is not possible to
evaluate ANY query against a document because indexed non-stored
fields are not available to match against easily.

I am just out of time at this point to do the work required to do
this correctly.

I am fairly convinced I can get our firm to offer a cash bounty to
the developer who implements it !

Let me know,
Robert Engels

Re: non indexed field query clauses? help wanted

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Has anyone thought again about having a query clause that operated on
: stored (non-indexed) values?

what would be the motivation/use case for this?  ... i'm having a hard
time imagining situations where if some mechanism did exist, it would be
more useful then just indexing the field value (un_tokenized if
neccessary)

	?

-Hoss