Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com> on 2007/01/03 22:00:08 UTC

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Ian,

Yes, I'd agree, that's pretty fair comment, having used OfBiz from the
very early days, one of the things that has appealed to me is that there
always seemed to be a fairly clear idea of who the system was being
written for.

As you'll no doubt be aware OfBiz is a big and complex system, I'd hate
to see the code get even more complex in an effort to make it applicable
to those with less complex requirements (hope that makes sense!?).

As Jacopo mentioned a little while ago the territory you are talking
about is already pretty well staked out. At present for a smaller entity
to commit to OfBiz takes a lot of vision on the part of the person with
their hands on the purse strings but I have personally seen some of
these people make OfBiz a big success.

I'm not convinced that simply providing an installer etc would make
OfBiz much more accessible as you'd still need to wade through a never-
ending mass of options for every little thing you wanted to do, that
takes a lot of study, or input from an experienced OfBizer.

I do however see your point, and would love to see OfBiz become more
accessible, but I really think this would involve writing a lightweight
little brother with a lot of prescriptive OOTB pre-configuration.

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Posted by Ian McNulty <ia...@mcnultymedia.co.uk>.
Andrew,

> As you'll no doubt be aware OfBiz is a big and complex system, I'd hate
> to see the code get even more complex in an effort to make it applicable
> to those with less complex requirements (hope that makes sense!?).

It makes absolute sense and I couldn't agree more.

One of the criterion I would propose would be simplification at every level.

> As Jacopo mentioned a little while ago the territory you are talking
> about is already pretty well staked out.

It certainly is. And that's what Henry Ford thought too :)

>  At present for a smaller entity
> to commit to OfBiz takes a lot of vision on the part of the person with
> their hands on the purse strings but I have personally seen some of
> these people make OfBiz a big success.

You've put your finger right on it. The person controlling the purse
strings needs a lot of vision!

My proposition is to put some resources into making that less of a
vision they have to generate themselves, and more a working model of
exactly what that vision could be.

> I'm not convinced that simply providing an installer etc would make
> OfBiz much more accessible as you'd still need to wade through a never-
> ending mass of options for every little thing you wanted to do, that
> takes a lot of study, or input from an experienced OfBizer.

I completely agree. Not the way to go at all.

But we already have excellent models of how it can work.

Firefox and Thunderbird are shining examples. OOTB. Does exactly what it
says on the tin. Even your grandmother could learn how to use it!

But much more complicated installations like Apache, MySQL and even
Linux have all been made accessible for installation and maintenance by
engineers with basic back-street garage skills and a basic kit of tools
at prices the average user might be able to afford.

> I do however see your point, and would love to see OfBiz become more
> accessible, but I really think this would involve writing a lightweight
> little brother with a lot of prescriptive OOTB pre-configuration.

That may be true. But it also ought not be too difficult to do.

Much more important, in my view, is the organisation of whatever lies
behind any kind of release.

If it goes wrong, who you gonna call? What kind of response will you
get? How much will it cost? These are things most people need to know
before they even think of opening the box.

That's the first point of contact with the interface.

If that can be made to run smooth as silk, then all the rest can fall
nicely into place behind!

Ian

Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Yes, I'd agree, that's pretty fair comment, having used OfBiz from the
> very early days, one of the things that has appealed to me is that there
> always seemed to be a fairly clear idea of who the system was being
> written for.
>
> As you'll no doubt be aware OfBiz is a big and complex system, I'd hate
> to see the code get even more complex in an effort to make it applicable
> to those with less complex requirements (hope that makes sense!?).
>
> As Jacopo mentioned a little while ago the territory you are talking
> about is already pretty well staked out. At present for a smaller entity
> to commit to OfBiz takes a lot of vision on the part of the person with
> their hands on the purse strings but I have personally seen some of
> these people make OfBiz a big success.
>
> I'm not convinced that simply providing an installer etc would make
> OfBiz much more accessible as you'd still need to wade through a never-
> ending mass of options for every little thing you wanted to do, that
> takes a lot of study, or input from an experienced OfBizer.
>
> I do however see your point, and would love to see OfBiz become more
> accessible, but I really think this would involve writing a lightweight
> little brother with a lot of prescriptive OOTB pre-configuration.
>
> - Andrew
>

> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 17:21 +0000, Ian McNulty wrote:
>
>> Andrew (Sykes),
>>
>> Might you not be putting the cart before the horse here?
>>
>> Maybe the reason you have yet to encounter anyone who uses OFBiz in this
>> way is precisely because there are no automated installs you can use
>> straight out of the box. And if there were, you would!
>>
>> The extra knowledge that comes from getting to grips with the
>> fundamentals may be worth its weight in gold in terms of deepening the
>> knowledge of the existing user base. But that does not prove that it is
>> not also the major obstacle to widening it.
>>
>> Just because one proposition is true, does not necessarily mean that
>> others are not also equally true!
>>
>> Ian
>>

>> Andrew Sykes wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> Automated installs are probably a bad idea, because they assume you are
>>> just going to use OfBiz straight out of the box.
>>>
>>> I am yet to come across anyone who uses OfBiz in this way unless it's a
>>> very small hobby project of the like.
>>>
>>> I'd encourage people to do their best to get to grips with some of the
>>> fundamentals of installing/modifying, the extra knowledge is worth its
>>> weight in gold!
>>>
>>> - Andrew (Sykes)

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: ian@mcnultymedia.co.uk
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.