Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Webster Homer <we...@sial.com> on 2017/05/10 18:26:53 UTC

solrcloud collections restore documentation is confusing about the restored configset

Looking at the solrcloud restore API I am confused about the solr
configuration
What configuration gets loaded into the restored collection? The one in
Zookeeper or the one from the backup?

Say I have a collection,  BAZ which has a configuration BAZ.config
Now I create a backup of BAZ
I make changes to the BAZ configuration, load updated data into BAZ.

I then discover a problem with the updated BAZ so I restore BAZ to BAZ-Old

I didn't see a new config in Zookeeper named BAS-Old
Did the restore replace the BAZ.config with the config from the backup? or
is BAZ-Old now using the modified config that BAZ is using.

The RESTORE says that you can specify a config name but the config must
already be in Zookeeper.

So what is the real story and can the documentation be made clearer?

It seems to me that the restore should create a new configset in Zookeeper
from the backed up configset and use the new collection name as the name of
the config set.

otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to
any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment
from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this
message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages
resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and
any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does
not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted
therewith.

Click http://www.emdgroup.com/disclaimer to access the German, French,
Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.

Re: solrcloud collections restore documentation is confusing about the restored configset

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/11/2017 8:38 AM, Webster Homer wrote:
> When I ran the backup and restore of a real collection: which I restored to sial-catalog-product-2 I didn't see a new config for sial-catalog-product-2 in Zookeeper. When I did what you describe it I see the config name is sial-catalog-product not sial-catalog-product-2
>
> So was the config uploaded from the backup or is it simply the config for sial-catalog-product which at restore time may not be the same as the configuration that was saved?

What was the configname in use for sial-catalog-product when it was
backed up?  Chances are that it was/is sial-catalog-product, the same
name as the collection itself.  I have just confirmed that this is what
happens when I use the "bin/solr create" command and it uploads a
configuration to zookeeper- the configuration gets the same name as the
collection.

If the collection was restored to the same cloud where it was backed up
from, then there would not have been a configuration upload, because the
named configuration would already be present.  If it were restored to a
different cloud, then it might have uploaded the configuration, but only
if that config name was not already present.

It sounds like the BACKUP and RESTORE operations work just as I had
expected them to work, not how you expected.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: solrcloud collections restore documentation is confusing about the restored configset

Posted by Webster Homer <we...@sial.com>.
It appears that RESTORE pretty much ignores the configuration that was
backed up by the backup command, so why does backup bother?
The documented behavior of RESTORE is not very clear, and a scenario where
we are restoring a collection from a backup after the configuration in the
original collection has changed could lead to problems in the restored
collection.

Our use case for this is where we may have to quickly revert a collection
to a previous state with no down time. The fact that the restored
collection may be incompatible with the latest configuration in Zookeeper
could be an issue.
This could be mediated by following solid processes, but sometimes
administrators don't follow such guidelines in the real world.

Posted by Webster Homer <we...@sial.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/10/2017 12:26 PM, Webster Homer wrote:
> Looking at the solrcloud restore API I am confused about the solr
> configuration
<snip>