Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> on 2002/12/05 15:18:30 UTC

A suggestion for Scarab

What is nice about Apache is the transparency of the process, you don't
have to be a member of some specially selected club to see the process
of development.  There is anonymous access to the CVS repositories and
anyone can sign on to the mailing lists.  In effect, no one has to
approve a request to join a mailing list, checkout via anoncvs.   If
*Bill Gates* wanted to do a full checkout of the latest source of
jakarta-ojb, he doesn't need to ask permission.

One signs up for Bugzilla, get's a password in the email, and then can
quickly see bug reports for everything, and submit new bugs, etc.
Someone signs up for Scarab, and is presented with a system by which
they can request to be associated with certain projects.

Could someone put a note on that Login pages of Scarab that lets people
know what the roles mean (what is a Partner, do we ever expect to have a
Partner?), and that if one requests "Developer" role in any project that
will be granted immediately.  Basically, my beef is that there is a
*perceived* barrier to entry here, when in fact there absolutely none.

( Also, don't get me wrong Scarab is a great thing.  I'm noticing that
Bugzilla doesn't scale well with all the projects/versions/components,
etc....  )

--------
Tim O'Brien
W 847-574-2143
M 847-863-7045

Re: A suggestion for Scarab

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/5 6:18 AM, "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> wrote:

> Could someone put a note on that Login pages of Scarab that lets people
> know what the roles mean (what is a Partner, do we ever expect to have a
> Partner?), and that if one requests "Developer" role in any project that
> will be granted immediately.  Basically, my beef is that there is a
> *perceived* barrier to entry here, when in fact there absolutely none.
>
> ( Also, don't get me wrong Scarab is a great thing.  I'm noticing that
> Bugzilla doesn't scale well with all the projects/versions/components,
> etc....  )

That is a great request. In the ASF use of Scarab, we should just do away
with the default roles (yes, they are configurable) and simply just have two
roles: Root and Public. We don't need to categorize people in the ASF like
that.

-jon