Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by soap vamsi <so...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/07/08 13:12:10 UTC

schema for service elements

While serializing objects to soap we specify the namespace of the
service specific elements by saying
" <multiRef id="id1" SOAP-ENC:root="0"
xsi:type="ElementName" xmlns:ns4="urn:ServiceNameSpace"> "
which would mean that the elements defined under this element are
defined in a schema at the location urn:ServiceNameSpace.
What if i want to see the this schema?
OR more generically
Where can i find the schema that defines the elements that
constitute a service request/response?
Hope i have made myself clear
thanks in advance
vamsi

There is always a better job for you at Monsterindia.com.
Go now http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

Re: schema for service elements

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I think that the WSDL for the service is what you would want.  With Axis (as
well as many other SOAP implementations, including .NET), when you do an
HTTP GET on a service URL with a ?wsdl query string, you will get the WSDL
for the service.  With Axis, you can also generate this statically with the
Java2WSDL tool.  Because Axis is the next generation of Apache SOAP, if you
run it for a class you are using as an Apache SOAP service, the WSDL you get
is at least very close to being applicable to your service.  I successfully
did this to enable use of the high-level Microsoft SOAP Toolkit API with the
stock quote sample service
(http://www.scottnichol.com/vbclienthiapachesoap.htm).

The URI for the service, such as urn:ServiceSpaceName, does not necessarily
relate to the schema in any way.  This URI is typically abstract, meaning
that it does not specify any physical resource, but instead is simply a
unique name used as an identifier.

I hope this answers your question.

Scott Nichol