Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Eder <st...@ebuconnect.de> on 2010/12/16 12:09:20 UTC

Missing goal eclipse:m2eclipse in version 2.8 of the Maven Eclipse plugin

  Hi,

since quite a while I am using Maven and Eclipse together with the
Eclipse plugin for Maven and the Maven plugin for Eclipse. And it is
just great.

But in the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin for Maven I am (hardly)
missing the goal m2eclipse.

How can I tell the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin to create
.classpath files that refer to MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER and to add
Maven nature and build command to the .project files without touching
the corresponding poms?

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: Missing goal eclipse:m2eclipse in version 2.8 of the Maven Eclipse plugin

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:22 AM, John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 December 2010 05:08, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Eder <st...@ebuconnect.de> wrote:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> since quite a while I am using Maven and Eclipse together with the Eclipse
>>> plugin for Maven and the Maven plugin for Eclipse. And it is just great.
>>>
>>> But in the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin for Maven I am (hardly) missing
>>> the goal m2eclipse.
>>>
>>> How can I tell the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin to create .classpath
>>> files that refer to MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER and to add Maven nature and
>>> build command to the .project files without touching the corresponding poms?
>>
>> You don't, you use m2eclipse directly.
>> If you are using m2eclipse, you *CAN NOT* use maven-eclipse-plugin,
>> hence it being removed in 2.8

[del]

> Just wondering why support for "$ mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" was dropped
> from the maven-eclipse-plugin in version 2.8? I don't understand why
> maven-eclipse-plugin and using m2eclipse are incompatible.

m2eclipse is an Eclipse plugin that embed Maven.

eclipse:eclipse is a Maven plugin that generates eclipse's files so
you can import your Maven projects.

Choose one and use it.
They are maintained by two different groups and trying to import each
others details is too error prone.

> What command line should I now be using instead?
>
> Or should I just stick with version 2.7?

If you are using m2eclipse, then there is no need for command line.

> As I don't want to store the eclipse project in source control, or
> have to manually create the eclipse project. I just want a simple
> command line to automatically create the project file so I can them
> just import them, or re-execute and refresh the project.

Neither m2eclipse or eclipse:eclipse require your to place eclipse
project files in source control.

m2eclipse will auto-generate the files for you.
Since I dont use m2eclipse, I can't tell you how.  You will need to
read the documentation.
It's meant to be simple.  Probably something like Import... >
m2eclipse > maven project...

Re: Missing goal eclipse:m2eclipse in version 2.8 of the Maven Eclipse plugin

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.
On 18 December 2010 05:08, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Stefan Eder <st...@ebuconnect.de> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> since quite a while I am using Maven and Eclipse together with the Eclipse
>> plugin for Maven and the Maven plugin for Eclipse. And it is just great.
>>
>> But in the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin for Maven I am (hardly) missing
>> the goal m2eclipse.
>>
>> How can I tell the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin to create .classpath
>> files that refer to MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER and to add Maven nature and
>> build command to the .project files without touching the corresponding poms?
>
> You don't, you use m2eclipse directly.
> If you are using m2eclipse, you *CAN NOT* use maven-eclipse-plugin,
> hence it being removed in 2.8

Just wondering why support for "$ mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" was dropped
from the maven-eclipse-plugin in version 2.8? I don't understand why
maven-eclipse-plugin and using m2eclipse are incompatible.

What command line should I now be using instead?

Or should I just stick with version 2.7?

As I don't want to store the eclipse project in source control, or
have to manually create the eclipse project. I just want a simple
command line to automatically create the project file so I can them
just import them, or re-execute and refresh the project.

John

Re: Missing goal eclipse:m2eclipse in version 2.8 of the Maven Eclipse plugin

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.
You can't (in 2.8) - you can specify the old version of the plugin with the m2eclipse goal on the command line.

Or (preffered)
just import the projects in eclipse as maven projects, and let m2eclipse create your project files with the correct natures.

/James

since quite a while I am using Maven and Eclipse together with the Eclipse plugin for Maven and the Maven plugin for Eclipse. And it is just great.

But in the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin for Maven I am (hardly) missing the goal m2eclipse.

How can I tell the version 2.8 of the Eclipse plugin to create .classpath files that refer to MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER and to add Maven nature and build command to the .project files without touching the corresponding poms?

Thanks,
Stefan

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00