Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Bjoern Teipel <bj...@internetbrands.com> on 2013/10/14 10:03:10 UTC

Creating advanced network

Hi Guys,

I wanted to setup a advanced zone with security groups and saw this
exceptions in the log while I was configuring the networks.
What does that mean, what are the limitations from a advanced zone + SG ?

ERROR [cloud.async.AsyncJobManagerImpl] (Job-Executor-23:job-23 = [
7c7e4264-721d-448b-8a75-b68ffeb52d56 ]) Unexpected exception while
executing
org.apache.cloudstack.api.command.admin.network.UpdatePhysicalNetworkCmd
com.cloud.exception.InvalidParameterValueException: Can't add vnet range
to the physical network in the zone that supports Advanced network,
Security Group enabled: true
         at
com.cloud.network.NetworkServiceImpl.updatePhysicalNetwork(NetworkServiceImpl.java:2527)
         at
com.cloud.utils.component.ComponentInstantiationPostProcessor$InterceptorDispatcher.intercept(ComponentInstantiationPostProcessor.java:125)
         at
org.apache.cloudstack.api.command.admin.network.UpdatePhysicalNetworkCmd.execute(UpdatePhysicalNetworkCmd.java:98)
         at com.cloud.api.ApiDispatcher.dispatch(ApiDispatcher.java:158)
         at
com.cloud.async.AsyncJobManagerImpl$1.run(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:531)
         at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
         at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
         at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)
         at
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

Also I tagged the cloudstack storage network (specified Vlan ID in the
wizard) but I see the interfaces are bound to cloudbr0 oppose to
brxxx-VLANID
Does the storage network need to be untagged ?

Also is it true the guest network is the public network ? That confuses
me a little bit since I configured a internal IP range but now I can't
see how/where to configure the external/public IP.

Thanks in advance,
Bjoern

Re: Creating advanced network

Posted by "Teipel, Bjoern" <bj...@internetbrands.com>.
My problem is that I want to integrate f5 load balancer also. So I'm stuck with advanced mode. Also I don't like that VMs have per default public IPs in basic mode..

Bjoern

On Oct 18, 2013, at 6:22 AM, "Murali Reddy" <Mu...@citrix.com>> wrote:

Bjoern,

Sorry that commit, only fixes part of the problem. Still there are two more issues (source NAT and SG + source NAT combination is not permitted and public traffic type is not allowed in security group based shared network). I opened a feature enhancement CLOUDSTACK-4891 bug for this issue.

You may want to try basic zone model of CloudStack which provides security group based L3 isolation with EIP(1:1 NAT) & ELB services with NetScaler.

Thanks,
Murali

From: Bjoern Teipel <bj...@internetbrands.com>>
Date: Thursday, 17 October 2013 10:29 AM
To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Creating advanced network

Hi Murali,

I saw your git commits. I want to compile now your changes into our  source code. Do i need just the one for 4.2 or also the master commits:

Commit 4d07493a5e6e13462b80ba09c3535fa4af0ebdc7 in branch refs/heads/4.2 from Murali Reddy<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=murali.reddy>

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4717#>
[cid:part3.09050002.00050203@internetbrands.com]ASF subversion and git services<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=jira-bot> added a comment - Today 06:18

Commit df3b09944968718111d9b6b29d4c7f5a5cfaf630 in branch refs/heads/master from Murali Reddy<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=murali.reddy>

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4717#>
[cid:part3.09050002.00050203@internetbrands.com]ASF subversion and git services<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=jira-bot> added a comment - Today 14:45

Commit df3b09944968718111d9b6b29d4c7f5a5cfaf630 in branch refs/heads/ui-restyle from Murali Reddy<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=murali.reddy>

Thanks,
Bjoern

On 10/16/2013 2:35 AM, Murali Reddy wrote:

On 16/10/13 12:23 PM, "Bjoern Teipel" <bj...@internetbrands.com>
wrote:

Murali,

That would be great if you're right. But I'm now in a dead lock:

Adding new network offering including LB:

2013-10-15 23:34:50,920 WARN [network.element.VirtualRouterElement]
(catalina-exec-19:null) Virtual router can't enable services [Dns Dhcp
UserData Lb ] without source NAT service
2013-10-15 23:34:50,924 ERROR [cloud.api.ApiServer]
(catalina-exec-19:null) unhandled exception executing api command:
createNetworkOffering
com.cloud.exception.UnsupportedServiceException: Provider VirtualRouter
doesn't support services combination: [Dns, Dhcp, UserData, Lb]

That forces me to add source nat, but once I want add a guest network in
the zone I get the opposite error. I can't mix SG + sourceNat

013-10-15 23:46:30,896 INFO  [cloud.api.ApiServer]
(catalina-exec-22:null) Service SourceNat is not allowed in security
group enabled zone

First issue is know issue (CLOUDSTACK-4717) is getting addressed in 4.2.1.
Not sure why source NAT should not be allowed in SG network. Sorry, this
is indeed a dead lock situation. It does not look like you can use LB with
in shared network with SG in advanced zone.

So no internal lb ?

Thanks,
Bjoern

On 10/15/2013 11:28 PM, Murali Reddy wrote:

On 16/10/13 7:17 AM, "Bjoern Teipel" <bj...@internetbrands.com>
wrote:

Wow, all user@cloudstack mails got catched in my spam filter, so sorry
for the late response.

After tinkering the whole day I gave up using a tagged VLAN for the
storage traffic, seems not to work. It ignores the VID and doesn't
create the VLAN on the hypervisor.
I added the vlan to the hypervisor now and bound cloudbr1 to it and
using it untagged in cloudstack.
Finally all is up. :-)

Now I was looking how to use a load balancer like the internal
cloudstack one or even the F5 and it seems it's not supported.
No cloudstack support for internal LB (the VR one) or F5 ? Really !!!
According to the advanced network and security groups specification (

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Isolation+based+o
n+
Security+Groups+in+Advance+zone)
AddF5LoadBalancerCmd api commands will just fail in SG enabled zone.
That's just a joke.

4.1 did not support PF/NAT/LB services in shared network. From 4.2, all
network services are supported in shared network with or without SG so
you
should be able to use F5/VR/Netscaler for LB.

I'm really close to end the cloudstack adventure and move on with open
stack.
Having a shared network with SG and loadbalancer is not really a
uncommon solution

Re: Creating advanced network

Posted by Bjoern Teipel <bj...@internetbrands.com>.
Hi Murali,