Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by go...@osmosis.gr on 2003/10/24 22:54:51 UTC

cocoon and MSSQL

hi people

i have been asked to create a small html reporting system for a msSQL
(microsoft) database. is it possible to connect cocoon with msSQL, is any
connector available out there ? (i'dont have touch msSQL before)

everything works just like cocoon and mySQL for example or not

from your answers depent if i accept this or not

thnx

-- stavros

Re: cocoon and MSSQL

Posted by Gianluca Sartori <g....@elis.org>.
I made some tests with JDBC drivers from Microsoft and ESQL and they
worked fine. Anyway, I find the XML method suggested by Josephine
Massey-Frenard very interesting. I'm going to experiment a bit.

Thanks you all!
Gianluca

Re: cocoon and MSSQL

Posted by Jens Maukisch <co...@maukisch.net>.
Hi,

> i have been asked to create a small html reporting system for a msSQL
> (microsoft) database. is it possible to connect cocoon with msSQL, is any
> connector available out there ? (i'dont have touch msSQL before)

have a look at the wiki: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=MsSQL

hth

--
* best regards
* Jens Maukisch

RE: cocoon and MSSQL

Posted by Josephine Massey-Frenard <j....@rap-x.com>.
Hi,

You can use standard JDBC, but there is a more interesting approach.

SQL Server can output XML, and can be accessed directly over HTTP.

To get an XML output from the SQL simply write "FOR XML" at the end of a
SELECT statement. You can give three qualifiers to this:

FOR XML RAW (this returns xml roughly mapped from the resultset)
FOR XML AUTO (this returns XML a bit like the esql logicsheet)
FOR XML EXPLICIT (this nees you to do some horrible union select joins
to create your own schema from the output).

The first two are fine, much like ESQL. You can access it from http like
this;

http://serverrunningIIS/virtual-dir?sql=SELECT+*+FROM+whatever+FOR+XML+A
UTO&root=page

You can read how to configure IIS to create a virtual directory here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsql/
ac_xml1_8e7t.asp

Good idea to use Stored Procedures, they're fast and need less data in
the query string:

http://serverrunningIIS/virtual-dir?sql=EXECUTE+CategoryInfo&root=page

Disclaimer - I've used SQL server in this way, and I've used Cocoon, but
not together. Should be fine though. I'm planning to use this myself.

Jo