Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <da...@apache.org> on 2015/07/28 16:45:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Wicket v7.0 Released

The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache Wicket™ v7.0 Open
Source Java web framework that powers thousands of web applications
and web sites for governments, stores, universities, cities, banks,
email providers, and more.

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and
initiatives, today announced Apache™ Wicket™ v7.0, the Open Source
Java web framework for high performance, scalable, component oriented
web applications.
This marks the seventh major release of the project that celebrated
its 10 year anniversary last year.

This framework allows Java developers to write web applications using
components.
This way developers can reason about the user interface in user
interface building blocks, making it easier to link specific user
interactions to server-side code.
Wicket is a high performance framework processing billions of requests
daily across the world.

"With this release we have added a major improvement to our framework,
making development with Wicket even easier.", said Martijn Dashorst,
Vice President of Apache Wicket.
"By adding 'Component Queuing' we have divorced the strict
relationship between the Java component classes and the markup. This
has been a headache for many users and sparked one of the longest
discussions on our community lists. We finally put this issue to bed."

"Other major improvements are the move towards Java 7, newer Java EE
standards, security features and the addition of new components.
Wicket now bundles a cross site request forgery (CSRF) prevention
measure, and provides support for inline images using the data:
protocol," continued Martijn Dashorst.

Apache Wicket v7.0 reflects over 2 years of development, testing and
feedback from hundreds of knowledgable users, bringing a highly
stable, production ready release of the popular web framework.
The release consist of almost 300 features, improvements and fixes. In
accordance with Semantic Versioning, this major release contains
several documented API breaks. Following the Semantic Versioning
standard, future minor releases of Wicket v7 will remain API
compatible.

Availability and Oversight

As with all Apache products, Apache Wicket software is released under
the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of
active contributors to the project.
A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day
operations, including community development and product releases.
Apache Wicket release notes, source code, documentation, and related
resources are available at https://wicket.apache.org.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)

Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one
hundred fifty leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP
Server — the world's most popular Web server software.
Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more
than 350 individual Members and 3,000 Committers successfully
collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software,
benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software
solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community
actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and
ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and
expo.
The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual
donations and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology,
Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP, Hortonworks, Matt Mullenweg,
Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!.
For more information, visit https://www.apache.org/.

"Apache", "Apache Wicket", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The
Apache Software Foundation.
All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Wicket v7.0 Released

Posted by David Beer <da...@gmail.com>.
Congrats on such a great milestone.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Great work, team!

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks to all the Wicket Team!

--
Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Wicket v7.0 Released

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro