Posted to dev@gobblin.apache.org by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org> on 2021/01/01 12:10:28 UTC

Address feedback received on general@incubator

Hey folks,

Happy new year!

As you would have probably read on general@incubator email thread regarding
our graduation ( https://s.apache.org/elnb4 ), we received the following
feedback from Justin (I have broken it down in points for ease of
reading):

*A. I suggest you run your home page past trademarks. There's a large
number of 3rd party logos used without attribution there and I'm not sure
how some of those trademark owners would feel about a pacman eating their
logos. *

*B. You also have links on your home page to various commercial entires
without the no follow attribute. In general there should be no links to 3rd
parties on your front page, they can images or links on another page but
they should be no-follow links.C. Your home page also includes google
analytic, while policy has not be set, the general advice is to not use
Google Analytics and at some future point it's likely that all ASF projects
will be asked to stop using it.D. I note that until very recently you have
not voted in any PPMC members. Is there a reason for that?E. Your docker
releases [1][2] are not following the guidelines here. [3]*

*1. https://hub.docker.com/r/gobblin <https://hub.docker.com/r/gobblin>2,
https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/gobblin
<https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/gobblin>3.
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html#docker
<https://incubator.apache.org/guides/distribution.html#docker>*

To address it:
A. I have removed all 3rd party logos (that were being eaten by pacman)
B. Added nofollow attribute to all external links
C. Removed Google Analytics
E. Got Docker inline with guidelines:
a. Deleted non-Apache repo to avoid confusion / or future error
b. Added required disclaimer and overview to apache/gobblin on DockerHub
c. William from community (who recently worked on Docker), helped clean-up
Docker integration

Please review and let me know if anything needs updating?

Abhishek

Re: Address feedback received on general@incubator

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

In continuation to the above, it seems like:
1) We missed to remove 3rd party logos under Execution Modes on the
homepage, so I have removed that as well.
2) The docker repo cannot have any unreleased code (nightly or snapshot),
so I am going to remove the other tags as well. With next release, we can
publish a convenience image tagged as "latest" and with the Apache release
version

Abhishek

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <fi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tamás Németh <tr...@apache.org>.