Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Todd Rinaldo <to...@cpanel.net> on 2010/06/11 15:48:06 UTC

Net::Ident

Net::Ident is a dependency of SpamAssassin. Its test suite has been broken for quite some time due to copious use of prototyping in the module. I've repaired this and updated the module in CPAN. Are there any other outstanding issues that SpamAssassin has with Net::Ident?

In repairing the module, I discovered that it was testing against public ident servers which no longer exist. Does anyone know of any existing public ident servers I could add to the test suite to test against? If the answer is no, then I guess my follow up question is whether Net::Ident should be removed from the SpamAssassin code base.

Thanks,
Todd

Re: Net::Ident

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Todd,

> Net::Ident is a dependency of SpamAssassin. Its test suite has been broken
> for quite some time due to copious use of prototyping in the module. I've
> repaired this and updated the module in CPAN. Are there any other
> outstanding issues that SpamAssassin has with Net::Ident?
>
> In repairing the module, I discovered that it was testing against public
> ident servers which no longer exist. Does anyone know of any existing
> public ident servers I could add to the test suite to test against?
> If the answer is no,

> then I guess my follow up question is whether Net::Ident
> should be removed from the SpamAssassin code base.

I don't see what existence of public ident servers has to do with
your second question - but I'd fullheartedly agree that Net::Ident
usage should be removed from spamd (it is only used in the daemon,
not in the library). It is trying to (mis)use the ident service
for something which the protocol was never intended to provide.
There may have been some corner niche needs back in the days of
mainframes and multiuser Unix servers, but these are now extinct.

The way to do it is to open a bugzilla ticket.

  Mark