Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2011/09/18 17:17:13 UTC

Users and authentication - how?

Hi,

I'm missing something very basic. I will develop a web application with users and authentication.

Surely, there exists a relatively generic approach to this that includes a backend database, new user form and authentication rules! But I can't find. Can someone direct me as to where to start my research?

Thanks!

Dola

RE: Users and authentication - how?

Posted by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

It looks that way.  And funny how option a) still requires option b) - I mean, if you choose to go with option a) as your starting point.

Re: Users and authentication - how?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by java4dev <ja...@gmail.com>.
If you find please share it with the rest of us.
The only solution I could find is

  * either use a portal solution which has already implemented a
    security model like, Jetspeed 2. uportal etc
  * go with the default models as they are presented in JEE tutorial,
    basic , form etc.
  * Implement your own using phase listeners.

Using a portal takes time to learn.
The default models are very primitive, they do not support localization
or roles. They have roles but basically there is 1-1 mapping between
roles and groups which is not very practically in real applications.
Phase Listeners seems the most promising approach.

I had already done alot of work designing the db schema for security and
the stored procedures but I couldn't decide to go for phase listeners as
there is no clear guideline on how to use them or if it is the right
approach for such a problem.
I finally decided to go for the form which created a very ugly interface
as several languages are not supported and as said the security model is
very primitive.

Please tells us how you decided to proceed if you continue with this
endeavour.

???? 18/9/2011 6:17 ??, ?/? Dola Woolfe ??????:

Posted by Thomas Strauß <t....@srs-management.de>.
check the j2ee specs on the declaration in web.xml and j_securitycheck form based login servlet for use of jaas in your webapp with the tomcat realm as source of authentication data.

best regards,
thomas

--
Thomas Strauß
SRS-Management GmbH

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dola Woolfe [mailto:dolachin@yahoo.com] Subject: Users and authentication - how?

> Surely, there exists a relatively generic approach to this that
> includes a backend database, new user form and authentication
> rules! But I can't find. Can someone direct me as to where to
> start my research?

First, read the servlet spec section concerning authentication.

Second, read Tomcat's doc about selecting and configuring a <Realm> for the particular authentication mechanism you want to use.  You didn't bother to tell us the version of Tomcat you have, but here's the link for the current one:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html

You also might want to look at the How To part of the Tomcat Wiki; there are a few entries in there related to authentication.

 - Chuck

Re: Users and authentication - how?

Posted by MiB <di...@gmail.com>.
18 sep 2011 kl. 17.17 Dola Woolfe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm missing something very basic. I will develop a web application
> with users and authentication.
>
> Surely, there exists a relatively generic approach to this that
> includes a backend database, new user form and authentication rules!
> But I can't find. Can someone direct me as to where to start my
> research?

I'm using Spring Security Framework http://static.springsource.org/spring-security/site/
.

/MiB