Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anthony Mutiso 2 <an...@utilitynet.net> on 2002/11/07 20:57:07 UTC

working with resource.properties files in JSTL & Struts

What is recognized way to get JSTL <fmt:message> tag to share the same
resources bundle as Struts <bean:message> tag?

Thanks

Anthony

Re: working with resource.properties files in JSTL & Struts

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
I think something like this worked for me with Struts 1.0.2. Not sure if it
will still work with 1.1.

<c_rt:set var="messageResourcesKey"
          value="<%= org.apache.struts.action.Action.MESSAGES_KEY %>"/>

<c:set var="messageResources"
       value="${applicationScope[messageResourcesKey]}"/>

<c:set var="messageResourcesConfig"
       value="${messageResources.config}"/>

<fmt:setBundle basename="${messageResourcesConfig}"
               var="messageResourcesBundle"/>

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: working with resource.properties files in JSTL & Struts

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Ah, right. That's much simpler for Struts 1.0.2. Except for the fact that
Struts has a hand in how locale is determined. For example, the <html:html> tag
or any piece of application code can set the session attribute named
Action.LOCALE_KEY to a Locale instance. If set, the <bean:message> tag uses
this when it retrieves a message. So, I guess you'd have to add something like:

<c_rt:set var="localeKey"
          value="<%= org.apache.struts.action.Action.LOCALE_KEY %>"/>
<fmt:setLocale value="${sessionScope[localeKey]}"/>

If the value attribute of <fmt:setLocale> is null or empty, the runtime's
default Locale is used. I believe this matches the <bean:message> behavior if
Action.LOCALE_KEY is not set.

Of course, this all just pertains to the case where <bean:message> attributes
for bundle and locale are not used.

With 1.1, it looks like things get even hairier...

Posted by Sven Bischoff <sv...@web.de>.