Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2003/09/11 16:05:05 UTC

Negative boosting?

I've often found the use of query-based boosting to be very beneficial.  This is particularly so when it's easy to identify the term that I want to stand out as a primary selector.

However, I've come across quite a few other cases where it would be easier (and more logical) to apply a negative boost - to de-emphasize the match when the term is present.

Is it possible to apply a negative boost (It doesn't seem to work), and if not, would it break anything signficant if that were added?

Regards,

Terry