Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Andrew G. Tereschenko" <ta...@ibis.odessa.ua> on 2000/11/14 15:09:17 UTC

Overriding properties

Hi,

What is expected result of this script in
Ant1.1 and Ant1.2 ??

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<project name="sample" default="all" basedir=".">

    <target name="all" depends="sample1,sample2"/>

    <target name="sample1">
	<property name="prop1" value="sample1"/>
	<echo message="${prop1}"/>
    </target>

    <target name="sample2">
	<property name="prop1" value="sample2"/>
	<echo message="${prop1}"/>
    </target>

</project>

What NEW ???
* Semantics of <property> has changed again in the hope to be more
intuitive. ${} expansion now happens at runtime and <property> tags
living inside of targets only take effect if they are visited at
runtime.

Take a test ...

=============================
Andrew G. Tereschenko
Software Engineer
Integrated Banking Information Systems
tag@ibis.odessa.ua

RE: Overriding properties

Posted by Stanislas Pinte <st...@wanadoo.be>.

I am also strongly in favor of properties overriding.

Without that, project nesting is a nightmare.

Stan

RE: Overriding properties

Posted by "Andrew G. Tereschenko" <ta...@ibis.odessa.ua>.
He-he...

I was asking for 2 results.
In Ant1.1 and Ant1.2

I think we must allow overide properties.
In current sources i see attempt to create
read-only user properties (here is a two
HashTables for this), but looks like
it result all properties can be used only once.
We have a big build.xml (with includes of other build files)
like this:

<target .... />
        <property name="dir" value="${root}/start"/>
        <jar jarfile="${server}/irbis-start.jar" basedir="${dest}"
            includes="
                ${dir}/IPrincipal.class,
                ${dir}/IServerLoginModule.class,
            "
        />
</target>
<target .... />
        <property name="dir" value="${root}/login"/>
        <jar jarfile="${server}/irbis-login.jar" basedir="${dest}"
            includes="
                ${dir}/AaaaBbbb.class,
                ${dir}/CccccDdddd.class,
            "
        />
</target>

And i don't want to change it :o(
BTW, overriding propertis (build.compiler) can allow to compile
one part of project by one compiler (jikes) and other one by another (javac)

Re: Overriding properties