Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Huck <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/12 21:19:49 UTC

ignore within external?

Is it possible to set up an svn:external, but then set particular files
within it to svn:ignore?

I'm including a rather large third party component in one of my projects,
and updating it is a bit painful at the moment. I would love to just switch
it to an svn:external, but there are a handful of configuration files within
it that must be edited to work with my project. As this is third party
stuff, I can't change the way it is set up to externalize the configuration.

I was hoping I could still use an svn:external to make updates easier, but
somehow make exceptions for those few files I have to edit. Is this
possible? If not, any suggested workarounds?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: ignore within external?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 12, 2007, at 16:19, Jason Huck wrote:

> Is it possible to set up an svn:external, but then set particular
> files
> within it to svn:ignore?
>
> I'm including a rather large third party component in one of my
> projects,
> and updating it is a bit painful at the moment. I would love to
> just switch
> it to an svn:external, but there are a handful of configuration
> files within
> it that must be edited to work with my project. As this is third party
> stuff, I can't change the way it is set up to externalize the
> configuration.
>
> I was hoping I could still use an svn:external to make updates
> easier, but
> somehow make exceptions for those few files I have to edit. Is this
> possible? If not, any suggested workarounds?

Offhand, I don't think that's possible with Subversion.

Instead, you could import the third-party component into your own
repository. Then you would be empowered to change the few things that
make it difficult for you, but still be easily able to upgrade to
newer versions of the third-party component. See the section in the
book on vendor branches, and the svn_load_dirs.pl script.

I would refer you to the correct URL within the book, only the book's
web site seems to be down at the moment. But once it returns you
should be easily able to find the chapter:

http://svnbook.org/