Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2009/02/13 22:50:47 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache ZooKeeper 3.1.0

The Apache ZooKeeper team is proud to announce Apache ZooKeeper version
3.1.0.

ZooKeeper is a high-performance coordination service for distributed
applications. It exposes common services - such as naming, configuration
management, synchronization, and group services - in a simple interface
so you don't have to write them from scratch. You can use it
off-the-shelf to implement consensus, group management, leader election,
and presence protocols. And you can build on it for your own, specific
needs.

Key features of the 3.1.0 release:
* Quota support
* BookKeeper - a system to reliably log streams of records
* JMX for server management
* many fixes, improvements, improved documentation, etc...

A bit about BookKeeper: a system to reliably log streams of records. In
BookKeeper, servers are "bookies", log streams are "ledgers", and each
unit of a log (aka record) is a "ledger entry". BookKeeper is designed
to be reliable; bookies, the servers that store ledgers can be
byzantine, which means that some subset of the bookies can fail, corrupt
data, discard data, but as long as there are enough correctly behaving
servers the service as a whole behaves correctly; the meta data for
BookKeeper is stored in ZooKeeper.

For ZooKeeper release details and downloads, visit:
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/releases.html

ZooKeeper 3.1.0 Release Notes are at:
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.1.0/releasenotes.html

Regards,

The ZooKeeper Team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache ZooKeeper 3.1.0

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Also, you may consider checking a graph that we posted comparing the
performance of BookKeeper with the one of HDFS using a local file
system and local+NFS in the jira issue 5189 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5189
).

-Flavio

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Stephen Corona <sc...@adknowledge.com>.
Is this similar to facebook's scribe server project? How "production-
ready" is bookkeeper?

Steve

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Bill de hOra <bi...@dehora.net>.