Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dillian Murphey <cr...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/25 01:56:13 UTC

Increasing replication factor reliable?

Is it safe to run this on an active production topic?  A topic was created
without a replication factor of 2 and I want to increase it from 1 to 2 to
have fault tolerance.

http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_increase_replication_factor

Re: Increasing replication factor reliable?

Posted by Li Tao <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi, i am wondering why the increased replication factor is related to a
partition instead of the topic. Isn't it very hard to manage? Any one can
help me clarify this?

Posted by Dillian Murphey <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav Agarwal <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Yeah - it will increase IO and network utilization by a lot while data is
replication, but it should be safe.