Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2008/07/22 14:13:59 UTC

disabling rfci (dns_from_rfc*)

header DNS_FROM_RFC_DSN         eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.2')
header DNS_FROM_RFC_BOGUSMX     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.8')
header __DNS_FROM_RFC_POST      eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.3')
header __DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.4')
header __DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
'127.0.0.5')

I know I can disable DNS_FROM_RFC_DSN and DNS_FROM_RDF_BOGUSMX by
setting scores to 0.
but since __DNS_FROM_RFC_POST|ABUSE|WHOIS are metarules, do I disable
them (prevent even the dns lookups) buy setting score to 0?
(aren't meta rules already score 0?)

also, since there are no rules anywhere anymore that reference
_POST|ABUSE|WHOIS   , shouldn't they be removed anyway?

--
Michael Scheidell, President
Main: 561-999-5000, Office: 561-939-7259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation
Winner 2008 Technosium hot company award.
www.technosium.com/hotcompanies/ <http://www.technosium.com/hotcompanies/>

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: disabling rfci (dns_from_rfc*)

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:
> header DNS_FROM_RFC_DSN         eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
> '127.0.0.2')
> header DNS_FROM_RFC_BOGUSMX     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
> '127.0.0.8')
> header __DNS_FROM_RFC_POST      eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
> '127.0.0.3')
> header __DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
> '127.0.0.4')
> header __DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS     eval:check_rbl_sub('rfci_envfrom',
> '127.0.0.5')
>

> I know I can disable DNS_FROM_RFC_DSN and DNS_FROM_RDF_BOGUSMX by
> setting scores to 0.
> but since __DNS_FROM_RFC_POST|ABUSE|WHOIS are metarules, do I disable
> them (prevent even the dns lookups) buy setting score to 0?
> (aren't meta rules already score 0?)
 rules starting with __ have no score, which is not the same as a score
of 0. If you explicitly set them to 0, it disables them.

> also, since there are no rules anywhere anymore that reference
> _POST|ABUSE|WHOIS   , shouldn't they be removed anyway?

They have little cost, so it's not really necessary. If you want to
disable the DNS lookup to RFCI, you must zero the score of the rule that
uses check_rbl, not the ones that use check_rbl_sub. All the "_sub"
rules do is check the existing result generated by the original rule.