Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/18 16:29:56 UTC

Mailing lists, sites, ...

Hi Apache .

Every so often we get the question come up: does Apache infra allow/support ____.  The answer is sometimes "not yet" and related to the fact that there are 100s of projects that require uniformity at Apache, and it would be chaos of every new project was allowed a new infrastructure.

Idea:

Now that project infrastructure is easier using things like github and static sites or google groups forums etc.... Maybe the ASF could loosely agree to support some types of "alternative" project tooling, as long all project conversations and decisions and artifacts were centrally archived at Apache?This can easily be done by simply adding an Apache email address to a monitor a particular forum , or github issues notifications or whatever.

Benefits of looser grip on community infrastructure:

The main benefit of Apache in a post github era is not the storage and mail servers - it's the centralized archiving, community process, and transparent workflow.  And those things can be implemented with any technology.

So, my general thought is : Apache still can enforce its core principals while loosening some of the more granular rules around infrastructure . Maybe the time is now (or maybe not) to start allowing projects to branch out their tooling  ... While still supporting the tried and true mechanisms and not pressuring infra every time someone wants to use some new email alternative or site hosting solution.

In any case looking  forward to feedback on this from some Apache veterans .

Re: Mailing lists, sites, ...

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 18.01.2015 18:10, Joseph Schaefer wrote:
> After all git is born out of dissatisfaction with svn, but Linus wrote the tool instead of simply publicly whinging about his hatred for svn.

You mean, "as well as," not "instead of." :)

-- Brane

Re: Mailing lists, sites, ...

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I've seen this discussion a hundred times or so at Apache, whether it's forums issue trackers or version control.  The story is always the same: a handful of software artisans want full uncompromising control over their toolchain.  Half the time as is true here what they want is already functionally available to other projects.  The other half the time what they want is probably being worked on on a voluntary basis so it's progressing too slowly for some version of too slow.

What we need more of in the open source movement are scientific programmers for which an objective reality outside ones own personal biases actually exists. These people already understand why the ubiquity and ease of archival and search available to mailing lists make them a good choice for standardization in our record keeping and official communications.  There will always be a place for biased artisans but they need to lead with code not debate.  After all git is born out of dissatisfaction with svn, but Linus wrote the tool instead of simply publicly whinging about his hatred for svn.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mailing lists, sites, ...

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Mailing lists, sites, ...