Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Vivek Naruka (EXT-NSB)" <vi...@nokia-sbell.com> on 2022/12/07 09:36:22 UTC

Regarding Compilation Steps for Tomcat version 9 on RHEL8

Hi,

We have downloaded Tomcat version 9 "apache-tomcat-9.0.70.tar.gz" from https://tomcat.apache.org/download-90.cgi.

To check the compatibility of Tomcat version 9.0 with OpenSSL 3.0, we need to compile source code of Tomcat version 9 on RHEL-8 with OpenSSL3.0.

We require compilation steps to compile Tomcat source code on RHEL8.

Could you please help to share the compilation steps?

Regards
Vivek Singh Naruka

Re: Regarding Compilation Steps for Tomcat version 9 on RHEL8

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/12/2022 07:03, Vivek Naruka (EXT-NSB) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attachment of Image.

Images get removed before messages are posted to the list.

> During study on changelog.txt

Tomcat projects all have changelogs but none of them are named
changelog.txt in either source or published form.

> we could see support of OpenSSL 3.0. for tomcat native.

Yes, both Tomcat Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x can be compiled with OpenSSL
3.0.0. Tomcat Native 2.0.x requires OpenSSL 3.0.x as a minimum.

The current minimum OpenSSL version for Tomcat Native 1.2.x is OpenSSL
1.0.2 although that OpenSSL version is no longer supported.

The supported versions of OpenSSL are generally driven not by the
OpenSSL project but the versions supported by the downstream Linux
distributions (we look at Debian and Ubuntu) and is tracked in this file:

https://github.com/apache/tomcat-native/blob/1.2.x/native/srclib/VERSIONS

It looks like we could switch to Tomcat Native 1.3.0 with minimum
versions of:
- OpenSSL 1.1.1
- APR 1.6.3

but there is no particular rush to do that.

> Please do let us know if Tomcat can provide extended support of OpenSSL1.1.1  beyond the EOL(End of life cycle) i.e after September 2023?

The best I can say is that it is the current intention of the Tomcat
committers that Tomcat Native 1.x will continue to support (i.e. it will
be possible to build a working library with) OpenSSL 1.1.1 as long as
that is the version of OpenSSL used by a supported version of Debian
and/or Ubuntu.

Mark

Posted by "Vivek Naruka (EXT-NSB)" <vi...@nokia-sbell.com>.
Hi,

Please find attachment of Image. During study on changelog.txt we could see support of OpenSSL 3.0. for tomcat native.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.