Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Nico <ni...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/15 17:57:55 UTC

Late Events with BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor and allowed lateness

Hi,

I struggle a bit to understand the difference between
BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor and the allowed lateness function
of a window...

As I understand it, when I use BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor the
watermark is lagging behind the real event time of the stream with
maxOutOfOrderness.
So for the window trigger late events won't be late as the watermark is
lagging.

In Contrast, allowed lateness will wait after the watermark passed. So
using allowed lateness a window could fire twice - after the watermark and
the arrival of late events.

Is that the only difference? What would happen if I use both? Do I have a
double delay?

Does a best practice exist when to BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor
or allowed latesness?

Best regards,
Nico

Re: Late Events with BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor and allowed lateness

Posted by Nico <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yassine,

I forgot to say thank you for poiting to the post. It was really useful.

Best,
Nico :)

Posted by Yassine MARZOUGUI <y....@mindlytix.com>.
Hi Nico,