Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/12 20:03:34 UTC

Board report due

Les & others... just checking in case you've already started writing
up the board report that's due on 14th. I'll be happy to do it if
nobody's done it. The obvious highlight is 1.0.0 release, let me know
if there are other big items that should be mentioned. I suppose we
should also mention that project plans to release 1.0.1/1.1.0 and
graduate in the next period, right? Any blocking items on the
graduation checklist Les?

Kalle

Re: Board report due

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Kalle Korhonen
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> anything new to the IPMC and Apache in general - at least from what
> I've seen, even in the largest and most active projects there's quite
> often only a few committers involved in a day-to-day basis. That said,
> I won't object if you change/remove the paragraph.

Nope, I don't object :)  I just didn't want to raise concern to an
occasional peruser that might not know the whole story.  It's probably
not a big deal, so I'm good with it as it stands.

Les

Re: Board report due

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> As to the comment about the committers, should we flag this in a board
> report yet?  My opinion is that this might stir up things unnecessarily - we
> might resolve it internally before we attempt to graduate, and the IPMC
> wouldn't have needed to been bothered with it.  Or if we should keep it in
> the report, maybe state that we're actively addressing it.

"Resolve it internally?" - Les, you've lived too long in the corporate
world :) The way I see it, we put whatever is important to us in the
report. The only reason then not to put something in there, would be
if the topic wasn't important enough for us to address but the more we
talk about it, the more I think it should be on the report. I think
the paragraph already shows that we actively addressing the issue and
managing the health of the project. I doubt that IPMC is going to be
bothered with it, but in any event, we need to demonstrate that the
PPMC can self-sufficiently manage the whole project other than just
checking in code and that's what mentors are looking for, right? I
doubt the issue with a small number of genuinely active committers is
anything new to the IPMC and Apache in general - at least from what
I've seen, even in the largest and most active projects there's quite
often only a few committers involved in a day-to-day basis. That said,
I won't object if you change/remove the paragraph.

> As for the documentation - I think we're doing well enough in that area for
> the STATUS document.  Sure, it can be improved (it can always be improved),
> but I've heard from others that it is already better than even some
> graduated sites' documentation.  I'm not saying that there isn't a lot hat
> we can still do, but as far as the STATUS is concerned, I think we're good.

Agree 100% and checked it off.

Kalle

Re: Board report due

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Thanks!  Now to graduate ... :)

Re: Board report due

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> P.S.  Kalle do you mind updating the STATUS document and checking off
> the remaining 3 fields?

Done.

Kalle

Re: Board report due

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
> Good work all around.
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig!

We're getting close.  I'm enthralled that we've completed all items in
the STATUS document.  The last thing left is the actual graduation
process.  This feels good :)

Les

Re: Board report due

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Craig L Russell
<cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
> This thread indicates to me that the project is pretty far along toward
> graduation. Congratulations.

Thanks Craig!

> There's only one &huh? in the report. What is meant by graduation "during
> the next period"? Better to put a date here, like "by October" if that's
> what you meant, or "by August".

Meant to imply "during the next reporting period", but yeah it's
vague. Changed to "by October" (just to give ourselves some time - but
should really target August so we might actually graduate by
September).

Kalle

Re: Board report due

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
This thread indicates to me that the project is pretty far along
toward graduation. Congratulations.

Most projects face three major barriers to graduation: releasable
code, strong user/developer community and independent committers who
are willing to manage the project (as a PMC) on a continuing basis.

So progress in these three areas is by definition of interest to the
IPMC and should be reported.

Re: Board report due

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Board report due