Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2016/02/02 08:44:23 UTC

Re: FOSDEM

On 01/14/2016 04:55 PM, Claude Warren wrote:
> Do we have a table at FOSDEM?  Is there a list of times that need to be
> covered?  I will be there and can volunteer a bit of time.  Also, any plans
> for a get together?

An enormous thanks to everyone who put in time at the ASF booth, even
though I only had a chance to talk with a few of you. It was good to see
old friends and new ones, and to get the word out about the ASF.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

RE: FOSDEM

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Indeed, thank you everyone

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fapachecon.com%2f&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7c86a14ba4659343e8a0e308d32ba4bccb%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=QDujzlHw88dr0ns5fmnRmjkaDGVNt0kcyITRzJBqA8E%3d - @apachecon

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Feb 6, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> A few years ago we talked about having tri-fold brochures for each
> project, starting with the "famous" ones and working from there, talking
> about what they do, and emphasizing that they are part of the Apache
> project family. Perhaps rather than brochures, a rotating slidedeck that
> we can show on a monitor at the booth? Anyways, something to make that
> message clear. We've got a year to work on this, if we stay focused on
> this issue.

+1 on both. I personally don't like brochures, but people seem to take them eagerly. Some have actually asked if we have an Apache brochure.

Andrus

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/03/2016 10:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I second this. Thanks to everyone who was at the table! Some reflections on my own experience:
>
> * We got many positive responses to the ASF story and the stories of those few projects that were present.
> * Lots of people asked about Apache Mesos, that wasn't represented.
> * All the swag was gone. And would've been gone on day one if we hadn't rationed it. Need more for the next year.

Note that this is true for every event. There's a science to determining
who gets something and who doesn't. No matter how much we take, we need
to ration it carefully, or we're just throwing money away.

> * Quite a lot of people haven't heard about Apache at all (I guess mostly young people).

This is great feedback, because this is why we need to be at FOSDEM
every year, to make the message heard to a younger generation.

> * Another big group of people only knows "Apache the HTTPD server". I thought with Hadoop and other big projects here this should not longer be the case.

The thing we need to solve with Hadoop (and other "famous" projects) is
to get the word out that it is Apache Hadoop. Everyone knows about
Hadoop, but seldom think of it as Apache Hadoop. FOSDEM is one
opportunity to address that.

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.