Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2014/02/04 14:58:28 UTC

2.4.8 This Month

I'd like to T&R and release 2.4.8 this month... Let's all take
some time to:

  1. See what in trunk should really be backported
  2. Test and vote in STATUS backports

Let's get people excited again about Apache httpd!

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
DirectoryCheckHandler has got my vote/promotion.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 03.03.2014 15:44, schrieb Eric Covener:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> Anyone else willing/able to cast some STATUS votes?
>>>
>> i would happily build a RPM for our devel-machines
>> still missing a RC tarball :-(
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
> Jim is referring to votes in the STATUS file for backports to 2.4.
> That needs to be settled before there can be any kind of release
> candidate because it determines the contents of the release

thanks for clarification - for that i lack knowledge and will
wait for a pre-release to test it on our production configs

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
Nobody else seems to have responded, so here's a ++1!

Good forward progress, and I'll offer a complimentary 2.2 release in
tandem to keep people in sync with regression fixes and security
questions.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.
On 19/02/2014 23:54, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Dr Stephen Henson
>> <sh...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:

>>> That could be user error. The path /usr/local/ssl/fips-2.0 is the default
>>> install location of the FIPS module which isn't a complete version of OpenSSL.
>>> It should point to the location the FIPS capable OpenSSL is installed instead.
>>
>> Hm, I thought I tried that but I'll recheck and configure with:
>>
>>   --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
>
> Bummer!
>
> When I did that, I get this:
>
> checking for OpenSSL... checking for user-provided OpenSSL base
> directory... /usr/local/ssl
>   adding "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to CPPFLAGS
>   setting MOD_CFLAGS to "-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
>   setting ab_CFLAGS to "-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
>   adding "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to LDFLAGS
>   setting MOD_LDFLAGS to "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
> checking for OpenSSL version >= 0.9.7... OK
>   adding "-lssl" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   adding "-lcrypto" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   adding "-lrt" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   adding "-lcrypt" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   adding "-lpthread" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   adding "-ldl" to MOD_LDFLAGS
>   setting LIBS to "-lssl -lcrypto  -lrt -lcrypt  -lpthread -ldl"
>   forcing ab_LDFLAGS to "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lrt
> -lcrypt -lpthread -ldl"
> checking openssl/engine.h usability... yes
> checking openssl/engine.h presence... yes
> checking for openssl/engine.h... yes
> checking for SSLeay_version... no
> checking for SSL_CTX_new... no
> checking for ENGINE_init... no
> checking for ENGINE_load_builtin_engines... no
> configure: WARNING: OpenSSL libraries are unusable
> yes
>   setting MOD_SSL_LDADD to "-export-symbols-regex ssl_module"
> checking whether to enable mod_ssl... shared (reallyall)
>   adding "-I$(top_srcdir)/modules/ssl" to INCLUDES
>
> So, is that a bad build for using mod_ssl or not?
>
> I will try the build now and report back.

Well something is wrong there with it indicating OpenSSL version 0.9.7. If you
intend to use the FIPS 2.0 module you must use OpenSSL 1.0.1.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen Henson. OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
Tom, please start a new thread, this is a discuss thread for planning a
2.4.8 release.  Thanks.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Dr Stephen Henson
<sh...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 15:08, Tom Browder wrote:
>> I configured httpd-2.4.7 successfully to use mod_ssl:

> That could be user error. The path /usr/local/ssl/fips-2.0 is the default
> install location of the FIPS module which isn't a complete version of OpenSSL.
> It should point to the location the FIPS capable OpenSSL is installed instead.

Hm, I thought I tried that but I'll recheck and configure with:

  --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

Thanks, Dr. Henson.

-Tom

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Dr Stephen Henson <sh...@opensslfoundation.com>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I'd like to shoot for a T&R sometime next week...
>> I'd like to T&R and release 2.4.8 this month... Let's all take
>> some time to:
>>
>>  1. See what in trunk should really be backported
>>  2. Test and vote in STATUS backports

I hope it fixes this (reported on users list):

I configured httpd-2.4.7 successfully to use mod_ssl:

  --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/fips-2.0

and, during the build, it stops here:

/usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.7/support/ab.c:509: undefined reference to
`FIPS_rand_seed'
/usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.7/support/ab.c:516: undefined reference to
`FIPS_rand_seed'
/usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.7/support/ab.c:522: undefined reference to
`FIPS_rand_seed'

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 22.02.2014 18:17, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 19.02.2014 14:08, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I'd like to shoot for a T&R sometime next week...
>
> I updated aurora our US server for www.apache.org, the project sites and
> also mail-archives.a.o to 2.4.8 dev svn revision 1570851 plus apr/apu
> head revision of their 1.5 branches. Looks good, but only updated a few
> minutes ago.
>
> Will have an eye on it and if all goes well update eos as well, which
> also serves wiki.a.o using mod_wsgi.

Both servers running 2.4.8-dev since Sunday.
No problems known.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Kaspar Brand <ht...@velox.ch>.
On 19.02.2014 14:08, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I'd like to shoot for a T&R sometime next week...
>
> On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to T&R and release 2.4.8 this month... Let's all take
>> some time to:
>>
>>  1. See what in trunk should really be backported
>>  2. Test and vote in STATUS backports

Small plug for a third vote for the mod_ssl backport to "Remove the
hardcoded algorithm-type dependency for the SSLCertificateFile and
SSLCertificateKeyFile directives": considering that OpenSSL 1.0.2 is now
in beta (Beta 1 was released last Monday), I think it would be a nice
opportunity to have proper support for per-certificate chains with
mod_ssl in 2.4.8.

Kaspar

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Thomas Eckert <th...@gmail.com>.
> And it's also important to keep Apache httpd-x64 code current with the new
> Windows Server + Visual Studio versions, since that's the most cases I
know
> of around.

Let's not hijack the 2.4.8 T&R thread for yet another round of this topic.

Re: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

RE: 2.4.8 This Month

Posted by "??.PKU" <bs...@pku.edu.cn>.
Yes, please go ahead. Quick releases, more updates!
And it's also important to keep Apache httpd-x64 code current with the new
Windows Server + Visual Studio versions, since that's the most cases I know
of around. It seems that Apache dev's need to be a bit faster, or "Microsoft
could overtake Apache within the next few months, ending Apache's 17+ year
reign",

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/02/03/february-2014-web-server-survey
.html
and Nginx is getting more popular for large Web sites (though I believe
behind every Nginx there should be one or more Apache httpd backends).

Bing