Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by UseTheFork <jv...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/27 12:12:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse Proxy questions - Error 503

Hi,

I am a newbie to reverse proxy (and system administration in general) and I
am looking for pointers. I have an operational Apache 2.2 server accepting
requests on port 80. I also have an operational service listening to 8080 on
the server, but this port is blocked by a router. I have been advised to
set-up reverse proxy. I have read some documents and I get the overall idea,
but I am a bit stuck with configuration.

i) It seems like some modules (proxy_html_module...) have to be installed on
my Apache 2.2. Is there a command or instruction I can use to check whether
these modules are already installed?

ii) If these modules are not installed, should I enable them by adding some
LoadModule lines in httpd.conf and restart the webserver? Is that the right
way to proceed?

iii) I have been suggested to add something based on the following in my
httpd.conf:

<IfModule proxy_module>
 <IfModule proxy_ajp_module>

   ProxyPass /myserv ajp://localhost:8080/myserv
   ProxyPassReverse /myserv ajp://localhost:8080/myserv

 </IfModule>
</IfModule>

Is that the right way to proceed? Is the above enough?

iv) I have performed some simple tests, but I always get the following
message:

  503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

  The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

What is causing the error? Apache or the service itself? The service is
running on Solaris and has status online.

Thanks,

UseTheFork

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy questions - Error 503

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.