Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joshua McCulloch <co...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/21 19:58:00 UTC

Apache 2.0.47, Tomcat 4.1.27 with mod_jk2 2.0.2 AND mod_deflate

I have setup Apache 2.0.47 on Windows XP to serve
jsp/servlet requests
using Tomcat 4.1.27. I did this using the mod_jk2
module and was able
to successfully connect to http://host/examples and
get the tomcat
example pages. I'm using JDK 1.3.1-03.

I then configured mod_deflate and was able to verify
it works by
telneting to port 80 and giving it a request using
"Accept-Encoding:
gzip, deflate". I did this on both the main index.html
file and the
main manual document.

However, any request to /examples/* (served by jk2)
does NOT get
compressed. I even placed the main index.html file in
TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\examples\ and that too will be
send un-compressed!

I've tried a variety of options within the <Directory>
section, and
switching the order of the LoadModule statements.

Is what I�m trying to do possible? Should I switch to
mod_jk or mod_webapp, or maybe downgrade to Apache
1.3.x?

Below are the configuration files/sections which
should be relevant:

Workers2.properties
[common]
debug=10
[config]
debug=10
debugEnv=10
[shm]
file=c:/apache/apache2/logs/shm.file
size=1048576
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
tomcatId=localhost:8009
[uri:/examples/*]
info=Map the whole webapp

httpd.conf:
LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2-2.0.43.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

<Directory />
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None