Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2013/06/14 09:22:19 UTC

Re: Regarding Xercesc++ performance

Hi Rinil,

Baxi, Rinil Rushabh <ri...@hp.com> writes:

> I have 2 Xerces-C++ libraries available on my platform (2.4 and 3.1).
> Both are built without threads. I am trying to compare performance
> of both of them. To compare performance I am using different sized
> xml files to parse using the samples (1kb, 65kb, 256Kb, 1Mb, 2Mb,
> 5Mb and 15Mb). I have put each sample in a script and run the same
> sample 1000 times to compare the parsing time.

Hm, I wouldn't do it like that. I would make the test itself perform
1000 iterations and also include a few warm up iterations. If you are
interested, CodeSynthesis XSD[1], which is based on Xerces-C++, includes
'performance' examples that show how to do this. They also show how
to configure Xerces-C++ parsers for optimal performance (things like
schema preloading, etc). The one for DOM is in examples/cxx/tree/ and
the one for SAX2 -- examples/cxx/parser/.

> We observed that till 1Mb xml file size performance of Xerces-C++ 3.1
> is better after that it starts deteriorating.

We definitely tested the performance difference between 2 and 3-series
and I am pretty sure Xerces-C++ 3 did consistently better.

[1] http://www.codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis        http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog