Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de> on 2021/01/20 09:44:37 UTC

Who is the Project? was: OS2 code

Hello,

Your question is valis. But the answer is might be a little fuzzy.

 From a formal view an Apache Project needs a PMC with some members and
some committers (all PMC members are "committers", but some committers
might not be PMC members).

But that is not the whole truth, esp. not for the Apache OpenOffice project.

This project and its community is much larger than the PMC and the group
of "committers". There are people doing for example user support in a
great way without being committers. (They do not need committer's rignts
for doing it.) There are some more examples.

Someone can also do a job normally a committer does if (s)he has a
committer as "sponsor".

So being part of the Apache OpenOffice project and its community depends
oo a nonformal acceptance by "peers", not on a formal status.

Everybody can release binaries of AOO because it is Free Software.

"Community binaries" are built by committers and tested by anybody. They
are published as versions on the basis of a vote of the committers,
needing a minimum of positive votes of PMC members (so called binding
votes).

But anybody who uses the trademark in a fair manner can build and
distribute AOO binaries.

Don't forget: Life is not black and white (binary); it's colorful!

Kind regards
Michael

RE: Who is the Project? was: OS2 code

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I would like to express a criticism [1] in this regard:

But to be able to do certain things in the project, _which essentially determine the direction of the project_ (e.g. release) depends very much on the status.

Unfortunately, some project members are denied this status for no reason. (I write "no reason" because it was explained to me that there are no personal reasons for this)

[1]
Excuse me, but I would like to state right away: I am expressing factual criticism here and am not writing a 'poisoned mail' or conducting a personnel discussion.

Jörg