Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2003/04/25 14:02:48 UTC

refactoring Avalon HibernateService / moving to hibernate?

Hi all (and especially Eric)!

I'm interested in to work being done on the Avalon HibernateService and
I took the liberty to check it out and refactor it.
Main changes:
* separated interface/implementation and cleaned the interface
* cleaned and simplified service implementation, and made configuration
options more flexible:
    * load properties from custom file
    * load properties from custom URL
    * load configuration from custom file
    * load configuration from custom URL
    * load configuration from custom resource
    * load configuration from default location
* refactored test:
    * test is now independent of any particular container (was dependent
on Plexus before)
    * test uses in-memory hsql database, instead of disk based
    * test creates the necessary database on-the-fly

I would like to merge the changes back, but I propose that we first try
to move this wrapper service from turbine CVS to hibernate CVS.
Why?
1. Licensing issue. code that is importing LGPL'd code cannot be hosted
at Apache and as a result of committing the hibernate service to turbine
CVS, Turbine is currently violating this rule.
2. It doesn't really have much to do with Turbine.
It has everything to do with Hibernate and a little bit less to do with
Avalon.
As Avalon committer, I asked on the avalon list if it would make sense
to move this code to the new "Avalon Component repository" that is under
discussion currently. The response: as a rule, all such "wrappers" are
engouraged to stay with the original project, in this case Hibernate
(not Turbine).
And anyway, due to licensing issue, it couldn't be moved to Avalon CVS
either.

So, I propose that we propose to hibernate devs to move it there. If
they reject the idea, then we can always create a new sourceforge
project to host it.
What do you think?

Rgds,
Neeme

RE: refactoring Avalon HibernateService / moving to hibernate?

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Nice...

> I would like to merge the changes back, but I propose that we
> first try
> to move this wrapper service from turbine CVS to hibernate
> CVS. Why? 1. Licensing issue. code that is importing LGPL'd
> code cannot be hosted
> at Apache and as a result of committing the hibernate service
> to turbine
> CVS, Turbine is currently violating this rule.
> 2. It doesn't really have much to do with Turbine.
> It has everything to do with Hibernate and a little bit less
> to do with
> Avalon.
> As Avalon committer, I asked on the avalon list if it would
> make sense
> to move this code to the new "Avalon Component repository"
> that is under
> discussion currently. The response: as a rule, all such
> "wrappers" are
> engouraged to stay with the original project, in this case Hibernate
> (not Turbine).
> And anyway, due to licensing issue, it couldn't be moved to
> Avalon CVS
> either.
>
> So, I propose that we propose to hibernate devs to move it there. If
> they reject the idea, then we can always create a new sourceforge
> project to host it.
> What do you think?

+1