Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Chaitanya Sharma <go...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/19 21:44:55 UTC

Pig Lzo Workflow.

Hi,

I recently for Pig to work with Lzo compression, with pig loaders from
Elephant Bird.

But, from my understanding my work flow is turning out to be:
Step 1 :  lzo-compress the raw input file.
Step 2 :  put the compressed.lzo file to hdfs.
Step 3 :  execute pig jobs with loaders from elephant-bird.

Now, this looks to be an all manual workflow; needs a lot baby sitting.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but what I am wondering about is, if EB or
Hadoop-Lzo could automate Step #1, Step #2 and would not need manual
intervention?

Thanks,
Chaitanya

Re: Pig Lzo Workflow.

Posted by Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <ge...@googlemail.com>.
No streams do not do indexes automatically. It does have the ability to
chunk files near to block size before writing to hadoop, doing this does not
require indexing.

Indexing is a separate process that you'll need to run.

Cheers,
 Gerrit

Re: Pig Lzo Workflow.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.