Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/16 17:35:55 UTC

GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Hi all,
I would like to know whether Velocity is willing to provide any projects
ideas for GSoC 2013. Any new project or any project ideas got staled from
last year GSoC.
If so I would like to contribute/start work related to them and provide a
good proposal.

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Posted by Sergiu Dumitriu <se...@gmail.com>.
There it is: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/apache

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Posted by Sergiu Dumitriu <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Ideas

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dishara,

I haven't had a lot of time to think on this, but here's a few ideas:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-253 (better whitespace handling)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-660 (changing logging
to event/subscriber model)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-735 (JSR 223 implementation)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-825 (automatic string to enum)

The other idea i have would be to add a complete configuration
interface in Java instead of requiring everything to go through a
Properties file. This would make it easier to use Velocity with IOC
containers and other languages too.

You can always look for other ideas here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20VELOCITY%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open

Let us know if anything strikes your fancy.  We'd be happy to
participate again this summer.
-nathan