Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Len Shein <ls...@verizon.net> on 2009/12/07 16:19:20 UTC

Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Has anyone had any experience configuring the Apache mod proxy/mod rewrite
modules within ofbiz?

I am trying to run the ecommerce application on Apache/Tomcat and do not
know where to place the rewrite rules; has anyone accomplished this?

Thank You

Len Shein

Email: lshein@salmonllc.com

Email: lshein@verizon.net

Office: 516.742.7888 ext.225

Home Office: 732.333.4303

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@googlemail.com>.
Hi Len,

I am not aware of any, but also we do generally use Apache and have migrated
all IIS, SunOne and others to it whereever we use Tomcat / JBoss / WebLogic
behind.

IIS is only an option for us where is is part of a .NET setup.

Regards

Carsten

[The above is way beyond the context of this list. I am working in an
operations company and we are doing all sorts of hosted environments.]

--

Best

Carsten Schinzer

Waisenhausstr. 53a
80637 München
Germany

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

--

Best

Carsten Schinzer

Waisenhausstr. 53a
80637 München
Germany

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@googlemail.com>.
Hi Len,

--

Best

Carsten Schinzer

Waisenhausstr. 53a
80637 München
Germany

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

I still do not see your reply to the "why rewrite" question? Is the
assumption made above correct? Can you let us know what the background is?
We're at risk to be off into assumptions while not looking at what the
requirement really is.

All the above is correct, however a solution for rewriting is then probably
putting an Apache (or other httpd) in front of OFBiz.

OFBiz as such is agnostic of the URL is serves (that is my understanding).
As such, it may be enough to manage multiple DNS entries for your domains to

--

Best

Carsten Schinzer

Waisenhausstr. 53a
80637 München
Germany

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@googlemail.com>.
Len,

--

Best

Carsten Schinzer

Waisenhausstr. 53a
80637 München
Germany

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Len,

I think the following document should be all you need to follow:

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Snow - CEng MBCS CITP MBA (Tech Mgmt) (Open) CISSP

Tel: 01453 890660
Mob: 07944 880950
Www: www.snowconsulting.co.uk

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Len Shein <ls...@salmonllc.com>.

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.
John,

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by "John D. Hays" <jo...@mavericklabel.com>.
Jeroen,

I can tell you for long established e-Commerce sites old URLs are very
important.  They are contained in correspondence, blogs, other
websites, etc. and you don't want your customer or prospective
customer to get lost on the way to the "new" page they are looking for.

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Jeroen van der Wal wrote:

> Hi Len,
>
> It sill puzzles me why you think you need a url rewriting. Do you
> want a
> loadbalancer, reverse proxy or image caching? Provide us your
> scenario, you
> don't want all the hassle that comes with url rewrite for just
> exposing
> Ofbiz to the world.
>
> -Jeroen

John

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.
Hi Len,

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
It looks like there is a filter you can use to achieve this with
tomcat: http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/
I have never tried it though.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
IMHO yes.

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Len Shein <ls...@salmonllc.com>.

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
I don't think you can use these rules in OFBiz. You will need the Apache
HTTPd for this.

Thanks,

Raj

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

RE: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Len Shein <ls...@salmonllc.com>.
I think I might be completely off base I am running ofbiz with it's internal
Tomcat server.  I am trying to add some rewrite rules to the server so I
think in order to do this I have 2 options:

Install Apache in front of tomcat and let it rewrite and redirect
accordingly
Or
Find where the rules should be placed within the Ofbiz Tomcat server.

Is this correct?

Re: Apache Mod Rewrite Rules

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Len,