Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2014/11/05 15:40:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove spring and spring-dm from featues.xml.....

For 3.1, I’m thinking about removing the dependencies on spring and spring-dm from the features.xml file.   Right now, if you do a "feature:install cxf”, you would get spring 3.2 and spring-dm forcibly installed even if you don’t need either of them.  What’s worse is if you need Spring4, you have other problems of multiple versions and such.    By removing that dependency, that problem wouldn’t pop up.

If people need spring-dm, they can “feature:install spring-dm” first (or add to their boot features or something) and it would still work like today.   That’s a user impact, but not much of one.

Thoughts?  Any major objections?

Also, with dropping support for Karaf 2.3, I THINK we can remove the specs dependencies, at least the API jars that Karaf has already endorsed.   I need to double check that though.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove spring and spring-dm from featues.xml.....

Posted by Aki Yoshida <el...@gmail.com>.
+ 1 sounds good.
thanks., aki

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I went ahead and did this on 3.1.   I’m going to investigate the specs things next.

Dan

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi
On 05/11/14 14:40, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> For 3.1, I’m thinking about removing the dependencies on spring and spring-dm from the features.xml file.   Right now, if you do a "feature:install cxf”, you would get spring 3.2 and spring-dm forcibly installed even if you don’t need either of them.  What’s worse is if you need Spring4, you have other problems of multiple versions and such.    By removing that dependency, that problem wouldn’t pop up.
>
> If people need spring-dm, they can “feature:install spring-dm” first (or add to their boot features or something) and it would still work like today.   That’s a user impact, but not much of one.
Providing such an optional feature would indeed be useful...

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1 for removing the dependency.

We just need to communicate it in the release notes.

Christian

On 05.11.2014 15:40, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> For 3.1, I’m thinking about removing the dependencies on spring and spring-dm from the features.xml file.   Right now, if you do a "feature:install cxf”, you would get spring 3.2 and spring-dm forcibly installed even if you don’t need either of them.  What’s worse is if you need Spring4, you have other problems of multiple versions and such.    By removing that dependency, that problem wouldn’t pop up.
>
> If people need spring-dm, they can “feature:install spring-dm” first (or add to their boot features or something) and it would still work like today.   That’s a user impact, but not much of one.
>
> Thoughts?  Any major objections?
>
> Also, with dropping support for Karaf 2.3, I THINK we can remove the specs dependencies, at least the API jars that Karaf has already endorsed.   I need to double check that though.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect