Posted to dev@ripple.apache.org by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/08 22:28:24 UTC

checking in on PhoneGap support

I believe I've contacted a few folks on this list before, and may have
posted this here as well, so please forgive me for my ailing memory. :)

Can someone summarize the status on PhoneGap support in Ripple?

In the past, I was able to use the Android phonegap.js file with Ripple and
have fake camera support for example.

In PhoneGap 3 (and recent versions), this no longer works well. Ripple does
seem to still have PhoneGap in mind (you can fire deviceready). But in
general, it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm about to present on PhoneGap again in a day or so, and I normally
include Ripple in that discussion. Even w/o PhoneGap support it is a kick
butt project, but obviously if it isn't going to work, I may need to remove
that.

Raymond Camden, Adobe Developer Evangelist

Email : raymondcamden@gmail.com
Blog : www.raymondcamden.com
Twitter: cfjedimaster

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.
The emulator serves the ripple from NodeJS, the extension it is not
required and not dependent on Chrome anymore either.

--
Jonathan

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
And wait - you told me to install from npm - I can't select a branch there.
(Can I?)

Ok - just as an FYI - I tried it - and it worked!

So to be clear:

I should start from www.
I should NOT install the extension.

Right so far?

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.
I just submitted a pull request which lets you build on Windows:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ripple/pull/13

--
Jonathan

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I've done so now.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to spit fire messages here - if I go too fast, let me know.

So my initial test worked in that the default Cordova HTML loaded *and*
deviceready fired.
So I added the Camera plugin and tried to use it, but no go.

Is Camera just not yet supported by Ripple? If not - is there a list of
what works?

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.
I think this relates to the issue that you've probably got a globally
installed Ripple from NPM that's NOT on the cordova-3.0 branch and a local
instance of Ripple that is now on the cordova-3.0 branch and the pathing is
messed up.

--
Jonathan

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
But what do you mean by that? As I said, I made a virgin Cordova project.
Are you saying I should build for Android and run it from within the
Android project?

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
Yeah,

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
I will switch branches.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.
You can't install the 3.0 WIP ripple branch from NPM can you? From what I
understand, you'd need to manually build the hosted target, which contrary
to the docs, is possible on windows but not trivial.

--
Jonathan

Re: checking in on PhoneGap support

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.