Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com> on 2012/09/17 15:54:50 UTC

Status of EIK

Hi,

just wanted to ask what the current status of the "Eclipse Integration of
Karaf" project is. I tried installing from update site but ran into issue
of missing requirement with org.slf4j version "0.0.0". So I checked out
latest from trunk, build locally and imported into Eclipse but I can't get
beyond creating the Apache karaf installation setup. The window where I
enter the project name and path to the karaf installation will not close on
"Finish" and I am left with a new project folder containing only .project
file only with project name.

EIK version:   Eclipse Integration for Apache Karaf
3.0.0.201209171047    org.apache.karaf.eik.feature.feature.group
Karaf version: 2.2.9
Eclipse: Modified 3.6 Helios WTP + Spring + div. Plugins

Thanks and Regards,
Michael

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
Hi MIchael,

I understand your problem and I can not answer on the EIK roadmap .

To solve the problem, in IMHO you can continue to use eik with console view.
After the first run you can use Watching and updating bundle  Karaf command
"dev:watch *".

If you install m2e, you build your bundle from eclipse e use EIK
console to see log ecc.ecc
It is cumbersome solution.
I hope that is ok for you.

Regards

--Filippo

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Again Michael,

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

ok, I prepared an Indigo workspace (after failing with Helios) and now I
can create the Karaf installation project. I am not sure whether it picks
up my 2 blueprint definitions from the deploy folder and the feature file
containing my eclipselink bundles though. Additionally I do not see my

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Michael,

maybe I didn't get you. I was talking about the build, not the runtime.

My purpose is to update the EIK documentation to clarify/develop build
and runtime purposes.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com>.
Hm,

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fully agree,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Michael Täschner <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi Raj, hi JB,

thanks for the clarification. I guess I will take a look at Tycho but I am
a bit hesitant as these additional plugins/configs would only be worthwile
for development and debugging in EIK/Eclipse but do not have any benefit
for the final applications which neither need Tycho nor run in Eclipse.

Especially this has got me worried:
>>>Tycho has a problem that it wont resolve the dependencies form Maven
repositories. It uses Eclipse p2 repositories for dependencies resolution.
One way to do that quickly is to create a local p2 repository from Eclipse
platform.

Is there an alternative to configure my pom without using Tycho so that
PDE/EIK finds what it needs to deploy my bundles to EIK configured Karaf ?

@JB, You mean setting up different profiles for building in Eclipse/EIK and
for building outside like in CI (Jenkins) ??

Re: Status of EIK

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks JB.

Raj