Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/04 12:42:42 UTC

Current state of keys at apache.org (was: PGP-based dependency verification)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 13:24, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, current state of KEYS at apache.org leaves much to be desired, so
> automatic verification against apache.org is not possible at the moment
> anyway.

What do you mean by that?

Can you provide some examples?

Sebb.

Re: Current state of keys at apache.org (was: PGP-based dependency verification)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 13:59, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sebb>Can you provide some examples?
>
> 1) META files are often missing.
> For instance: https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/ ,
> https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/ ,
> https://www.apache.org/dist/logging/ , https://www.apache.org/dist/tika/  ,
> https://www.apache.org/dist/xalan/ , https://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/,
> https://www.apache.org/dist/groovy/, https://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/ and
> so on.
>
> 2) META files do not describe "who signs Nexus artifacts". In other words,
> it would be nice if META files could specify that "official JMeter jars
> should be signed by ..."
> Current file https://www.apache.org/dist/jmeter/META lists just "binaries/"
> and "sources/", and there's no room for "who signs org.apache.jmeter Maven
> artifacts".

So it's not actually a problem with KEYS files.

AIUI META files were introduced to the ASF fairly recently, and there
has been almost no promotion of their use. I think they were set up by
Henk Penning, who has sadly since passed.

If you wish to help progress them, I suggest you contact
usesr@infra.a.o and/or raise an INFRA JIRA.

AFAICT the ASF META files won't help with checking 3rd party dependencies.

> I do understand that "Maven jars" are convenience-only, however it is
> really sad we use 30 or so different Apache dependencies via Maven jars,
> and we don't really know which PGP keys should we trust.

In which case, I suggest you contact ASF Infra as noted above.